squirrel calls

pressfit

I have a Mr. Squirrel I bought back in 1985.. cant beleive I have kept up with it all these years.. it makes a real high pitched distress call.. you shake a small tree or beat a limb against the ground while using it.. It generally works best in the early part of the season.. Not sure why this is.. but.. when I first bought,, the first few years i used it, I would have squirrels running towards me either on the ground or in the tree tops.. stand there and wait to shoot em.. or you could just walk up to the tree and shoot em out.. now.,, years later.. they will start barking but when you start walking to them they shut up and its harder to kill them.. I thought I may had educated them so I tried it at farms i had never hunted and had pretty much the same experience..

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
pressfit said:
I have a Mr. Squirrel I bought back in 1985.. cant beleive I have kept up with it all these years.. it makes a real high pitched distress call.. you shake a small tree or beat a limb against the ground while using it.. It generally works best in the early part of the season.. Not sure why this is.. but.. when I first bought,, the first few years i used it, I would have squirrels running towards me either on the ground or in the tree tops.. stand there and wait to shoot em.. or you could just walk up to the tree and shoot em out.. now.,, years later.. they will start barking but when you start walking to them they shut up and its harder to kill them.. I thought I may had educated them so I tried it at farms i had never hunted and had pretty much the same experience..

As to "why", it was invented by a man who witnessed a hawk taking a squirrel in the woods.
The sound of the call mimics the distress call of the squirrel (obviously) and the beating the ground with the sapling mimics the sound of the thrashing around on the ground as the hawk gained control (killed) the squirrel.

Very very effective call !

Oh and I have one too, purchased about the same time as yours. :D
Mine came with a little card that told the story of the man and how he came to invent it.
Wish I still had the card.

jb3

I've got a Mr. Squirel as well. Back before it came out, I wounded a young squirel with a shotgun blast and it commenced to produce that high pitch sound, which inticed another squirel to come around from behind the tree to take a look-see. I didn't realize what had happened till the whistle came out.

LanceS4803

Mr. Squirrel! Hadn't thought of that call in years.
It really works best with using a small sapling to make the wing swishing noises.
When you think about it, it is almost the equivalent of making a child or baby scream on a sidwalk and then waiting for all the parents to run out onto their front porches.

FOX FIRE

I have my Mr squirrel from back in teh 80s, never had much luck with it tho, mite have to blow the dust off of it & try again.

Also have a tube type, cant remember the maker & it aint marked, its clear plastic with a black rubber plunger on it, has a small sqeaker made in the the side of the tube for distress calls simaler to the Mr squirel sound, its the only call I've picked up the actualy sounds like a real squirrel bark'n.

I take the plunger off & use it as a mouth call so I can better control of the sound, cadence & volume.

pressfit

Try a 1967 and a 1957..
I'm not sure a squirrel cutting would call other squirrels.. I have watched them cutting before and didnt see any other squirrels coming over to find out what was going on.

FOX FIRE

Mite get ther attention if a fat squirrel heard it & was afraid a skinny squirrel was eat'n all his acorns. ( HA !)

I've heard of poeple roll'n the flint on a bic lighter to imatate a squirrel but dont remember if it was supposed to a one cut'n or bark'n.

Never tried it myself, just dont seem like something a squirrel would fall for, but who knows.

Latest posts