Squirrel - 22 or 12 gauge?

Huntaholic

Using a shotgun to hunt squirrels with is cheating. There, I said it and I dont care who takes offense to it! A 22lr or 22 mag is ALL Ive ever squirrel hunted with and with the 22 mag its head shots only.

BuckWild

I've never done it (haven't hunted squirrels yet) but I thought the same thing about sending a projectile up into the skies. Even a little .22 can do some damage…
Once the leaves fall, the vast majority of the squirrels will be on the ground foraging for food. They will still travel the trees but will spend more time on the ground.

DEER225

I prefer modified choke with #4's. Doesnt ruin the meat.
Agreed 100%. Get some steel 2s or 4s and run a modified choke. You'll only have 2-3 pellets hit the squirrel, and a lot of times the pellets pass through. I have started using some BBs and am liking them, but I've missed a few squirrels that slip through that pattern....

I used to run 6s or 7.5s, and yes they dropped them, but you could spend all day picking the pellets out.

If there are two of us I always carry a shotgun. If a squirrel starts running I've got it, if it holds the .22 person makes quick work. Do I prefer a nice headshot .22 squirrel for eating? Of course, but I come home with more if I take the shotgun.

Tenntrapper

Agreed 100%. Get some steel 2s or 4s and run a modified choke. You'll only have 2-3 pellets hit the squirrel, and a lot of times the pellets pass through. I have started using some BBs and am liking them, but I've missed a few squirrels that slip through that pattern....

I used to run 6s or 7.5s, and yes they dropped them, but you could spend all day picking the pellets out.

If there are two of us I always carry a shotgun. If a squirrel starts running I've got it, if it holds the .22 person makes quick work. Do I prefer a nice headshot .22 squirrel for eating? Of course, but I come home with more if I take the shotgun.
Do what you want, but you better check the regs on what shot sizes are legal for small game. Just an FYI, it's #4 or smaller....in TN.

Latest posts