Squirrel - 22 or 12 gauge?

HottyToddy

I use a shotgun with number 6 shot in the early season then after the leaves drop off, I go to the .22 rifle.

My Dad strictly forbad us to shoot a .22 rifle up in the air when we were growing up. We always used shotguns.

When the leaves fall, I normally hike out on the ridgetops and sit and hunt. 99.9% of my .22 rifle shots are down at the ground or the main part of the tree trunk.
I've never done it (haven't hunted squirrels yet) but I thought the same thing about sending a projectile up into the skies. Even a little .22 can do some damage…

Buzzard Breath

i switched over to my 22. henry
You've got good taste in guns

20220522_132033.jpg

20220522_132019.jpg

Levee Jumper

Never have hunted squirrels, but since I'll be brand new to TN and TN public lands, I figure it's a good way to learn the area. I currently have a few 12 gauges, but don't have a 22. How many of y'all hunt squirrels with a 12 gauge? Seems like unnecessary meat damage to me (having never done it), but I'm willing to entertain it. I really want to buy a 22 because 1) I like buying new guns, and 2) I think everyone needs at least one 22.

With that being said, you 22 guys and gals, what's your setup? I'm planning on going bolt and was eyeing a 2-7x33 VX Freedom. Let me know if that sounds like a bad plan! Would love to see some pics of y'all's small game setups (shotgun or rimfire)

Thanks!
It really depends on how tall the timber you are hunting is.

In some of the big river bottoms in west Tennessee it's all a 12 gauge with a 30" barrel, full choke and a 1 1/4 of 5's/6's wants to knock a squirrel out of the top of a big pecan or hickory tree.

When dealing with 6-20 grey squirrels in a tall tree, Its not fun being under gunned.

However if you are in a woodlot in middle TN with short timber, a .410 would be plenty.

Chickencoop96

I use a shotgun with number 6 shot in the early season then after the leaves drop off, I go to the .22 rifle.

My Dad strictly forbad us to shoot a .22 rifle up in the air when we were growing up. We always used shotguns.

When the leaves fall, I normally hike out on the ridgetops and sit and hunt. 99.9% of my .22 rifle shots are down at the ground or the main part of the tree trunk.
I will also add to this by saying that i do not shoot into the air when using a 22. it can be difficult to catch them on the ground but if you carry a set of quarters in your pocket you can have them on the ground by rubbing the rough edges together to make a cutting sound. works quite well.

Carlos

Love the wood stock on a 22. What magnification scopes do you use?
Most of mine are 3x9x40 and that one's a 3x9x50, but I think a 2x7x32 would work as well, or even better.
I haven't been in several years, and I didn't know much about scopes back when I set these rifles up.

Tweeter

Iv shot em with everything imaginable, but what I mostly shot em with is my mod choke and dove load, I go for head shots and it don't mess em up . We used to use a dog so no way a 22 would work. And as Iv got older something about shooting a 22 in the air is unsettling for me.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
My great uncle purchased a Winchester Targetmaster .22 I was told from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Later in life he gave that rifle to my grandfather who gave it to me in 1973, my 10th birthday. Single shot open site, wood stock and a long barrel. I still have the gun but don't hunt with it due to it bump fires now. But have taken hundreds of squirrels and a few rabbits with it long before I ever knew about hunting with a dog.
Preference and safety is 20 or 12 with #5 or 6's with canopy or within close range of homes or structures. But late winter it's now a ruger10/22 with a cheap scope

Gravey

That's correct! Was up there last weekend scoping out some areas. Working on finalizing a place right on the hermitage/donelson line. Hoping this one works out and the search ends. The rental market up there moves crazy fast!
Grew up in Donelson and loved it but moved out in 96. That place has changed a ton and you couldn't pay me to live in Davidson county now. As for guns I haven't squirrel hunted in years but would use a shotgun when the leaves were on and a .22 when they weren't.

Jbird22

CZ452 American 22lr wearing a Leupold VX-II 4-12X40 AO shooting either CCI Minimag HP or Wolf Match Target

mike243

Any older marlin with a 3-9-32 or 40 , solid 40g for accuracy, if you want a mess of squirrels to eat shotgun with #6 shot, use to love #5 but I haven't seen any in years I don't think, You couldn't get me to hunt anything with a 410 lol

Latest posts