Spring Squirrel video

Atchman2

I could have a LOT more squirrels if I weren't trying to get some camera footage. This year the foliage is insane! It is SO thick it is hard to get a shot, much less to try and capture it on film.

This morning I got up before everyone else, pulled on the clothes, and went out to sit in the quiet morning time and ambush a marauding nutter as they go by my house to raid bird feeders. My dog Toby, is SO quiet, he got by me at the door, and he was in hot pursuit of two nutters. Well that was the end of that for awhile. He is useless when it comes to still hunting. Then my son Moses came outside, he is as bad as Toby. Neither one of them sit still or shut up. :p

I occupied Moses for awhile, got the dogs fed and gave some time for the area to get quiet again. Late morning, I grabbed the Disco and went out the door, figuring it would be a good time as the sun was nice and bright in the sky.

Again, that silly dog, got by me and saw the squirrel an instant before me! ??? I flipped on the camera and started tracking him through the trees, but it was difficult. The squirrel was headed right towards......THE FORBIDDEN ZONE! That is the area near the main street. I can shoot at some angles that are safe but don't normally shoot in that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61hDuT1Nuo&feature=youtu.be#ws
The one thing that happens with veteran squirrels, is they take to the ground and cross the road. This one was a skinny tail so I was hoping he would make the mistake that all of them make. There are a couple of bare branches that they have to traverse to get to the power line that crosses the road. I was tracking him and realized he was going to make an "error". As soon as he paused I sent a CPHP into him. At first I thought I had missed but noticed him flinch when I hit him. He made a couple of leaps, and then Toby went nuts. He must have seen him fall.

I climbed down and opened the gate. Toby runs to him! Number 4 in the bag!
IMG_0251-001.jpg

Toby finds the squirrel

IMG_0252.jpg

It was a little heavy for him :)

IMG_0256-001.jpg

I got it dad!

IMG_0259-001.jpg

My son Moses asked me why that killed it, I showed him that the pellet had went through its heart and lungs at the same time, plus breaking his shoulder.
IMG_0260-001.jpg

Right through the shoulder, that was why no THWACK or THWOP.

IMG_0258-001.jpg

Obligatory Gun pose :grin:

Latest posts