South FL to Tennesse

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The Deer here are bigger than South Fla. The Bugs aren't as bad after the 1st frost or 2. Spend as much time as you can scouting WMA's and TVA land to figure out where you want to hunt NOW. Maybe join a club or hook up with someone from work that hunts.

HottyToddy

Thank you all!

WestTn Huntin Man, I've started marking all WMA's within 90 minutes of the Nashville area. I plan to start scouting the day I get up there. I've looked into some of the hunt clubs, but think I'll try the season on public land before I decide I want to fork out that kind of money. I'm looking forward to bigger bodies as meat is my primary interest. Shot a 2.5yo 8 point this past season on some public land in Florida that tipped the scales at 102lbs live weight, guts and all LOL

jaybird62

"Welcome to Tennessee... the patron state of shooting stuff," said Bob Lee Swagger in Shooter.

Post Covid, the public ground around Nashville will probably be pretty thin for a couple of years after being overrun with hunters. I live close to Yanahali WMA now, and I believe that every gobbler left has eight hunters surrounding his tree before daylight.

Good luck.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thank you all!

WestTn Huntin Man, I've started marking all WMA's within 90 minutes of the Nashville area. I plan to start scouting the day I get up there. I've looked into some of the hunt clubs, but think I'll try the season on public land before I decide I want to fork out that kind of money. I'm looking forward to bigger bodies as meat is my primary interest. Shot a 2.5yo 8 point this past season on some public land in Florida that tipped the scales at 102lbs live weight, guts and all LOL
A lot has changed since I lived in Nashville and hunted Everything with in 100 miles or so range. Hard Hunting on Public Land anywhere. With the raise in population of Nashville and the surrounding areas I'm sure it's even harder.
A few tips that may help.
Put in for Early Draw Hunts. Those deer are still pressured but maybe a little less.
Be flexible and try to have several back up spots. Chances are if you think it's a good spot at least 2 or 3 doz other hunters will also.
Deer are smart and get the pattern down for hunters pretty quick and remember it from year to year. Smart Old does teach their young.
When the roads are full of headlights driving in, truck doors slamming and 4 Wheeler's rolling. They are going to their beds.
About 9 or 10 after everyone leaves for lunch you might see mid day movement.
After several years I started planning my get to the woods time a little later and tried to hunt where everybody and their brother wasn't parked.
At the end of the season keep scouting for next year. Look for escape routes and bedding areas.
Good Luck Look forward to seeing some pictures of successful hunts. A young dumb doe tastes a lot better than a horny rutting buck.