Looking to move to Tennessee in 2 years

spoon059

Evening everyone, I am retiring from law enforcement in Maryland in summer 2026 and will be looking to move to eastern Tennessee. Trying to educate myself on gun laws in the Volunteer state!

spoon059

Ha, it'll be a change coming from Maryland to an actual free state!

Having lived behind enemy lines my entire life, I have no idea what to expect.

For example, can I go across the border to South Carolina and purchase a gun, or do I need to have it shipped to a FFL in state (and pay for shipping and transfer fees)?

Am I allowed to shoot on my own property (assuming I have sufficient average outside of a subdivision)?

I believe that TN is a constitutional carry state, but can my wife easily obtain a carry permit, which will allow her reciprocity in other states?

Things like that.

DoubleRidge

Welcome from Middle TN.....folks that bought property next to us called and asked where they could go to shoot their guns...I told them about the closest gun range but being we are outside the city limits I told them to shoot in their back yard if they wanted....they thought i was joking....I told them to pick a safe back stop and go for it....welcome to America....few minutes later I heard the sound of freedom!

Yes...your wife can easily obtain a carry permit, will it allow her reciprocity in other states?....I believe it varies by which state your traveling through but others on here are much more up to speed on the current laws so hopefully they will comment with a more direct answer to your question.

DaveTN

Yeah, for the time being we can pretty much do want we want as far as buying and selling between private individuals. Dealer sales have the same federal requirements they have in the rest of the county.

You might want to move your timeline up some though. We may shut Tennessee down to newcomers in less than two years.

We need more former cops here. 🤣

Latest posts