Souse

Wobblyshot1

Every year at Christmas time I like to indulge in a little souse. It's the only time of the year I do this. Zeigler hot souse is my go to. The only place I can find it is at a mom and pop grocery in Murfreesboro.

Attachments

• 20211216_173118~2.jpg
    20211216_173118~2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 711

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Love me some souse !

Best I ever had came from the slaughterhouse in Mayfield.
Hmmm, I wonder if it is even there anymore. :(

gtk

Staff member
I love hot souse, however, it decided it doesn't love me for some reason. The last 2 times I ate it, i had the worst indigestion I've ever had.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I raised and killed my own hogs back in the '70s while putting myself through college. Souse meat-aka Hog Head Cheese was a family favorite! We had my grandparents all come and we would kill a hog and process it. One of my jobs was splitting the head with an axe. The trick was trying to get it done without getting a lot of small bone chips in the head! We would sugar cure the hams and they were the best you could imagine! I still have a few pictures somewhere of all the family processing hogs. Grandparents and parents are all gone now, and I can only imagine what my kids would do if I started doing this again!

Kids today dont have a clue what we did when we grew up! Remember lard and chittlins'? I never cared for the chittlins as they were the guts. I also never liked the pickled pigs feet Daddy used to make. Too many bones and too much gristle for me. We ate basically everything else we could sink our teeth in! Those were some great times then and I never knew it!

Latest posts