Solo bivy Colorado mule deer hunt pics

PO Cedar

Here is a link to the pics I took. I'm hunting here in TN now so will caption the pics later. The large black bear was the one that kept coming in at night and vandalizing my bivy camp. 8 bears seen-several bull elk walked up on me while hunting, including 2 herd bulls. I picked out the largest buck seen(opening Sunday evening) and dogged him until the end. I was able to slip in on him up to 28 yds. or so by crawling when he wasn't looking---wind shifted and he eased away. I did get a few pics of the old boy before he headed out. The last day was a bust for seeing him-had about 25-30 elk feed through,then spook and stampede out like buffalo. Enjoyable 2 months camping in the Nat'l. Forest----- well worth the 330.00 or so I spent on the mule deer tag. Hunting a mature muley buck AFTER he sheds his velvet and can't be patterned as well is more difficult than hunting bull elk, IMO. I couldn't find this muley for 5 straight days while bivied in and gave up for awhile and hunted more accessible areas. I returned with supplies and there he was hanging out now with 4 slightly smaller racked bucks. Then the next to last day(pics) was when I caught him out feeding by himself,not far from the black timber he bedded in with the elk. FUN TIME FOR SURE!! webshots/rodge1102/Colorado 2009

megalomaniac

I'll agree with you that a mature mule deer is much harder to kill than an elk.

Fun hunt for sure, do you regret not getting the elk tag?(although it IS tough to focus on both at the same time)

tried the link, but can't get it to work.

PO Cedar

I went into "Webshots" and added the pics that didn't upload the other day. An explanation also on some of the pics taken. I'm still on a high from the great trip out this year.

Latest posts