Soil questions?

Greenhead

We are trying to grow some foodplots in Hickman County. We have a lease in the paper company land. The soil is very churty. Our plots will be on the edge of clearcuts and logging roads. Our soil tests will be in soon.
What I'm getting at is, do any of you have any suggestions on fertilizer to get this soil some nutrients.
I used a PH meter when collecting soil sample is said between 6.5 & 7.0.
Any advice will help. Thanks

BSK

With that good of pH (and I'm shocked it's that good) fertilizer needs will probably not be extreme. The cherty clays of the area aren't that nutrient deficient, but they are usually highly acidic, which prevents plants for accessing the nutrients.

Hawk

I am surprized as BSK is about the PH, and if you plan to fertilize before your tests are back four fifty LB. bags of 6-12-12 per acre would be a good starting point.

Greenhead

I expected to need heavy amounts of lime.
I have always been told the pines turn the soil very acidic.
I even used a control acid to make sure my PH meter wasn't off.

It just makes it hard to do when you live 3hrs+ away.
Thanks for your help

Greg .

I'm thinking along the same lines as DoubleD. I'd wait to see what the Ag Dept says about your soil pH.

Also, the soil report should tell you exactly how much N,P,K you need. One thing, though -- I like to get organic matter(OM) into the soil.

BSK

My experiences exactly DoubleD. The pH of my ridge-top soils in Humphreys County, before anything was added, was 4.7, which theoretically is acidic enough to melt the soles of your shoes.

Greenhead

I expect you guys are right. We are in the Swan Creek area.
Now I ask what is the best way to spread lime?
What kind of spreader that is?
Is pelleted better than ag lime?
I may just start a new thread.
Thanks

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Greg . said:
I'm thinking along the same lines as DoubleD. I'd wait to see what the Ag Dept says about your soil pH.

Also, the soil report should tell you exactly how much N,P,K you need. One thing, though -- I like to get organic matter(OM) into the soil.
Glad to here it. I've tried to tell guys how much healhtier it will make the soil. You can go to almost any stockyard and get composted manure for next to nothing.It will improve chert soil tremendously,

Latest posts