Snaring Coyotes

prstide

Has anyone been having success with snares? I'm in the process of setting out 3 dozen at our farm and was just wanting to get some opinions on what works for you, what doesn't etc. I'm thinking a great deal of patience will be involved from what I've gathered in reading since there is no set that you're luring them to like with footholds.

TN Song Dog

Just find where they run, and use some blocking if needed. I have been successful only on fence crawl unders where I have seen coyote fur on the lower barb wire. When you find a spot like that, then you know it's only a matter of time. Those have also been safe spots to avoid non target catches, so far.

prstide

I've found some nice, what look to be crawl unders but no fur on the wire strands. I set a couple of them and have set several trails where there are fresh tracks. Have you had noticed any issues with refusals by adding blocking to pinch the trails down to your snares? I've been somewhat hesitant to make too many changes to paths they may frequent thinking they might be observant enough to realize something is not right.

TN Song Dog

I don't have enough experience to say I have had refusals, but I know they do avoid the crawl unders where I have had a previous catch. Im sure i have had some refusals, though. As for blocking and guiding, I would say to keep it as subtle as possible.

Try and chose spots already blocked down naturally. If you can find good tracks to set on, where they run between saplings or beside a tree, you may not need to add blocking. About a 12 inch loop with the bottom of loop 12 inches high. Some will run slightly larger loop closer to 14 inches... Anchor or tie off very well. They fight majorly hard and destroy the area.

matt_brown

I have been very successful in fence rows where they crawl under. Once you snare one they will destroy a 6ft radius. I use blocking to remake my snare set. I will use cut cedar limbs laid flat on the ground or take sticks and stick in the ground. I have also snared in Cedar thickets but it's not as easy. Deer and other animals will knock them down and you will have to re make them. In the thickets I will find a trail or trails and block all of them except the one your gonna snare. As far as blocking a trail I will try to use something like a stick or bush that is already there. I'll lean it up against a tree or lay it in a trail to try and funnel them to your snare.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

prstide

Appreciate the suggestions and that gives me some more to work with. I'm hoping once I get all 3 dozen out there won't be any existing trails for them to come in on without getting snared unless they start making new trails....at which point I will know I need to focus on a different hobby! Thanks again.

matt_brown

@ mike belt ..
You shouldn't be able to snare a deer unless they are using a crawl under also. If you snare one in a trail then you have your snare way too high. Snares should have a deer stop on them which keeps you from catching a deer by the foot. I have caught a couple coons on accident by snaring crawl unders both were caught around the waist.

matt_brown

@prstide
If you have any trail cams laying around they can be very handy on trails to let you know if the yotes are using the trails or not

prstide

I've had one camera out that I've gotten a couple yote pics on and am about to set out a couple more that I've had since Christmas but hadn't gotten up yet. Hopefully that'll help shed a bit more light on their main travel corridors.

@ Mike Belt
I do have deer stops hammered in to my snare cables to prevent the snare from closing beyond 2.5" so a deer could still pull its leg from the loop....I don't even want to think about having to wrestle a deer out of a snare, or worse, finding one half eaten that I didn't get to soon enough!

MRUTVOL

Mike Belt":1axj6nkr said:
Have any of you guys ever snared a deer?
Yep years ago I snared a spike buck in a snare at a crawl under and needless to say it was a mess. He took out about 10 feet of fence and broke the fence post where it was set b4 he died !. Never set another one in a crawl spot after that just worried about it happening again !

Latest posts