Snaring hogs

DntBrnDPig

Anyone ever snare hogs? I'm looking to try this out. I have some private property I hunt that have the perfect spots for this.

My only concern is catching a deer in the snare... curious as to how people keep deer out.

fishboy1

From my hunting buddies in LA, you will want a special contraption that will leg snare a hog. Its basically a modified foot hold trap that holds the snare in place. When the hog steps on the trap, it slings the snare up around the hogs leg past its joint above the dew claws. IF it cinches down correctly you have him by the only place a snare will hold em.

Trying to snare a hog by the neck typically doesn't work and is illegal in a lot of places. You need a heavy cable with a big loop which dramatically increases the likely hood of non target catches. A mad hog will tear up most legal size gear in Tn if you caught it by the neck. If you get one of its feet, its balance is off and it cant pull as hard.

From what they tell me, snaring hogs is a waste of time and effort, success rate is very low.

Jmed

Better get some heavier wire than the conventional 7x7 3/32". If you use the snare in the conventional way, you can use a deer stop and a jump stick to keep 99% of the deer out of it.