Snares

eastTN270

Could someone give me a rundown on coyote snares. I've got some footholds that I'm working with, but I have a couple places where I can easily tell they are crossing under a fence and I think a snare would be the best tool, but I know very little about them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN Song Dog

Look at Dakota Line snares. Also look on Amazon and Ebay. Also double checknthe state regs for minimum cable size, and remember spring loaded locks are illegal. Washer locks or slim locks work good. Get the ones with swivels. Set the deer stop on them. Will need some heavy baling wire and some fencing pliers, and use this to attach very securely to fence post, earth anchor, or crossed double stakes. Watch some YouTube videos of setting snares in fence crawls for ideas on how and where to hang the loop. Can also use subtle guiding to block down the path to hit the snare. Try not to hang them too low or will get body catch and possibly chew outs. Coyotes will sometimes amaze you...

Once a cach is made, they are usually trash. Cut off the locks and swivels, and you can reuse those if you start making your own. Probably cheaper to buy them at first, though. Plus, you can see how they are made. From my experience, don't bother with the ones dyed brown. Keep your scent off them but don't bother trying to clean them or anything. I found the basic undyed, unboiled... we're smother and faster closing and worked just as good.

This is a start, but I'm sure I missed some things. Others will hopefully join in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pressfit

TN Song Dog":32edyy77 said:
pressfit":32edyy77 said:
If you have deer in the area forget snaring..
Should be fine on the fence crawls though, right. Deer go over and coyote (and other) go under.

From my experience.. no.. others may have a different luck but normally where one goes the other goes.. granted a mature buck will not try to crawl under.. but a small doe.. yeah.. right into the snare..
20 years ago I went to a coyote snaring demonstration.. got all schooled up and bought a dozen snares.. I set all 12 of them on my farm and the next day I had zero coyote and 7-8 dead deer... they were set in trails and under fences...

TN Song Dog

pressfit":2izfl8oy said:
TN Song Dog":2izfl8oy said:
pressfit":2izfl8oy said:
If you have deer in the area forget snaring..
Should be fine on the fence crawls though, right. Deer go over and coyote (and other) go under.

From my experience.. no.. others may have a different luck but normally where one goes the other goes.. granted a mature buck will not try to crawl under.. but a small doe.. yeah.. right into the snare..
20 years ago I went to a coyote snaring demonstration.. got all schooled up and bought a dozen snares.. I set all 12 of them on my farm and the next day I had zero coyote and 7-8 dead deer... they were set in trails and under fences...
Yeah, I'd be turned off for sure if that happened to me. Sorry to hear that. Know that wasn't fun...

My experience was limited to a sheep farm getting hammered by yotes. Found 2 good crawls that were about 15" high next to the post where going under. Hung snares where bottom of loop was about 6-9" off ground. Took 3 coyotes and a fox off those spots over the course of a few weeks. Had to do a few fence repairs after each catch, too.

pass-thru

deer, dogs, every other other non-target on the list will run right into a snare. Snares are excellent tools in the hands of those who know exactly what they're doing. To get to that point, the learning curve is steep. I personally have no desire to use them and have seen and heard enough over the years that gives me pause.

First off, any place you can catch a coyote, you can and will catch a dog. So if you are using snares, it is a very good idea to use a relaxing lock, and a deer stop. The deer stop will keep it from closing on their feet on a trail, cut not on there neck under a fence. IMO better to set the trail leading to the cross under rather than the fence.

And dogs are pretty much everywhere, even if they're not supposed to be and nobody lives anywhere around. It's a matter of how long it will take, not if one will come through.

buckaroo

I have used them with success for years, always have a deer jump close to them, lay logs and branches over them very close to the ground, so close a deer cannot go that low

fishboy1

crawl unders are my favorite set.
1. to reduce your chance of bycatch, only snare crawl unders that are low to the ground. 3 strand barbwire fence are usually too high and allow deer/dogs to use the crawl under. 5 strand barbwire fence the bottom strand is usually 10" or less off the ground. Deer will jump over, dogs will usually look for an easier route. Yotes are smaller and will use low access points.

2. use relaxing locks
3. a good snare support is critical to successful trapping. I make my own out of some 3/8 rebar, a piece of 10 ga wire and a washer. WEld Washer 4" up from bottom of stake to keep it from spinning in the ground. Weld 16" OF 10 GA wire to stake 18" up from the bottom. This allows precise placement of the snare loop.

4. Stake the snare AWAY from the fence crossing. The goal is to get the yote to run away from the fence when caught and entangle away from the fence to reduce damage/repairs. I used to tie off to a fence post but had huge tangles with every catch and fence repairs. Now I stake or tie off the snare away from the fence and leave just enough slack to allow the loop to hang in the correct spot. When they get caught, MOST of the time they don't mangle the fence.

Jmed

I buy my snares from FNT post a dozen at a time. Ive caught way more coyotes off of snares than I have footholds. The snares are almost impervious to weather

Latest posts