First time setting snares

maddhatter82

2-Step Enabled
How do you be sure that you don't catch a deer in a fence crawl under? I understand jump sticks on trail sets. Just not sure what to do with fence crossing

JCDEERMAN

That fear is the only thing holding me back from snares. I'm leaning towards ground sets, but snares are definitely more cost efficient

backyardtndeer

Serious question - do deer ever crawl under fences?
Yes they do. Have watched deer go under a tight bottom strand of barb wire many times, with the wire being maybe 12 inches max off the ground. Really kinda interesting watching them when you know they know they can leap the fence effortlessly.

Boone25/06

Deer definitely use crawl unders. If possible most go under or threw vs over. I have snared 2 doe fawns in the last 4 years. Both were trying to go through a hole no bigger than the top of a five gallon bucket. If you set crawl unders only set smaller holes or add some sticks or logs through top of hole like a crawl under on an open set. The odds of a deer are limited by this but not totally out of question. Out of 81 coyotes ,7 bobcats and numerous coons I have only caught 2 deer. Believe it or not I even caught a gobbler once right around the body. Luckily it has his wings pinned down and he was easy to release.

wildlifefarmer

Deer definitely use crawl unders. If possible most go under or threw vs over. I have snared 2 doe fawns in the last 4 years. Both were trying to go through a hole no bigger than the top of a five gallon bucket. If you set crawl unders only set smaller holes or add some sticks or logs through top of hole like a crawl under on an open set. The odds of a deer are limited by this but not totally out of question. Out of 81 coyotes ,7 bobcats and numerous coons I have only caught 2 deer. Believe it or not I even caught a gobbler once right around the body. Luckily it has his wings pinned down and he was easy to release.
That's funny about a gobbler!! It's no telling what you might catch trapping.

Latest posts