Smoking a BIG Pig and Need to Flip It

banyan slayer

Hey Fellas,

My dad and I are going to be smoking a pig on our big flat grate which is fine in itself for the pig but I have never done one over 200 lbs. Any suggestions on flipping this sucker? I usually just get another guy to grab it and help me roll it when the time is right but I am not sure we can hand flip a 200lber? Anyone got any ideas or pics of the tools they use to flip a hoss?

Thanks

banyan slayer

beechnut said:
A 200 pounder ain't jack for Johnny Bond, pm him and ask him how to flip a Big 200 pounder.

Me - Beechnut said you the man to ask about flipping big pigs. My dad and I are cooking our biggest one to date on our open grate smoker and it'll be over 200lbs. I normally just grab em and flip em but don't think this is the way you do big ones. Any suggestions?

Johnny Bond - i don't think he is refering to 4 legged pigs ....

:D

I told him I figured Beechnut was talkin about the other white meat!

bowriter

R.I.P.
So I'm down in Saline and this pig walks by. I shoot it. We gut it and then scald it and scrape the hair off. Then we stick the gambolling rods throught the front and hind legs and about three in the morning hang it over the fire. We turn it very 90 minutes and then eat it. As I recall, it was pretty good.

Uncle Alphus, he fixed up some sauce and Uncle Lloyd started pulling cracklins and I believe Uncle Lester made up a batch of bloody Mary. My job was to tend the fire and keep the coals even. I can't spell it but the French word is cochon de lay. We fed about 30 and the music was as pure Cajun/zidego as you can get. I think we even had a broom dance.

Lord I would love to do that again. Oh man would I ever!

The gamboling rods are in my garage right now. I took them when Uncle Lloyd died.

huntwriter

bowriter said:
I can't spell it but the French word is cochon de lay.

Cochon de Lait? Translation: Pig in milk. A French and Cajun specialty that is prepared with a suckling pig, a larger pig can be used too, slowly roasted (6 to 12 hours) over an open fire. Last time I had that was as a boy in Switzerland and I still dream about it. Talk about delicious.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Yes that is it. It was basted with a milk sauce. I can almost hear the music, now. I'd give every dime I've got to have that day back and I'd go go borrow more if I had to just to spend one more day with those fine gentlemen.

We use to roast a pig three or four times a year and everybody and anybody was invited. The music would start about mid-afternoon and would continue until we fell over. Many times we would boil bugs for an appetizer. We could make that swamp ring and the old camp house would just vibrate. I think that is where I first started playing music. I know it is where I learned to boil bugs and roast pigs...and maybe drink corn whiskey.

I tried to tell my wife about it tonight and she just didn't get it. I think I need to dry my eyes now.

Now I remember why crappie are sac-a-lait.