Smokin chicken questions

Travis E

Well my sister just gave me a smoker and I'm not the best of cooks. I can grill alright but have no idea about smokin stuff. Basically I want to know how to do this. I have some Jack daniels wood chips. Do I put them in the pan with the water (the smoker is propane powered)? I plan on smokin some chicken do I just throw it in there? How hot should it be and how long do I cook it? Also do I pu a rub on the chicken? If so do any of you have some good ones that are atleast semi-healthy? I'm new to this so be a little easy on this ol boy. Thanks for any advice and guidance.

mike243

there should be a cast iron box to hold the wood chips rite above the burner,water or apple juice goes into the pan,cover pan with foil to make clean up eaier.you can rub about any thing on chicken to season it.i use lemon papper a lot.takes about 4-5 hrs @ 225,refill wood chip box 2-3 times & the water pan will need 1 refill.have fun & remember smoked meat will look pink even when done,the skin can be crisped up on a gas grill ,mike243

mike243

ferg try the chunks instead of the chips,i dont soak them normaly & about 1-1.5 hrs of smoke per load of wood,only 2-3 loads are needed ,you can over load on the smoke taste if you try to make it smoke the entire time on a long cooking job,after 3-4 hrs the pores are sealed up most of the time so the smoke dosent make it more better :) mike243

Camp

Travis E said:
Well my chicken turned out ok but was a little dry. I used skinless boneless chicken breasts. I think next time I'll try to use chicken with skin and bone in.

I don't use a smoker but I do know that the skin helps seal in the juices. So the skinless would tend to become drier I'd think. Especially with breasts that don't have any fat on them.
:confused:

DntBrnDPig

I use whole chickens, and brining will help with the dry flavor. Or put some pads of butter underneath the skin above the breasts.

I personally dont like the J.D Oak chips - they just dont have a good taste for me. I use pecan for all my smokes. Also, in my opinion, soaking wood chips does nothing for you but waste time.

Also aim for a cooking temp of 225. Once the breasts get to 175 they are done, or do what i do. As soon as I can twist the leg freely - they are done. Usually takes around 4-5 hours. If you want crisper skin, turn up the heat the last 30 minutes to an hour of the cook. Easy to do with a gas cooker.

Here's some chickens I did the other day. You can see from the one on the right, i twisted the leg and it came free pretty easily.

DSC05871-1.jpg

I ended up using them for 2 meals. One was pulled chicken taco's and then I used the remaining to make some Chicken-n-Dumplin's.

DSC05890.jpg

Be careful smoking, you will get addicted. I do small contract cooks once or twice a month for people around me. Check out my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/foodiesbbq

In_my_sights

Macon,Davidson, and anywhere else I can hunt
I'm new to the smoking thang. I have smoked 12 whole chickens. I usually smoke 4 at a time. I use charcole inside a hot box smoker. 1 hour per pound at 250 is what I do. I do beer butt chicken and man is it good. You can buy the racks at Home Depot. I cut the top of the can off and fill halfway with water a litte garlic powder and chopped onions. Put the bird on top of the can and fold the skin over the top and stick a toothpick to hold. Use a dryrub of your choice and play around with it a little to find what you like. You can over smoke your food so dont do much. Have fun.

BIGB

if you are worried about the skin making the chicken unhealthy, don't the skin won't be fit to eat. i just toss the skin

bowriter

R.I.P.
Clean the insides of the bird well ans then rub with oil and seaseon the heck out of it. Stick 1/2 can of beer up in the cavity and smked until internal temp is 160 and fluid runs clear. Remove and let stand until it is cooled. Oh, you have to cook them upright. They make stands just for that.

Latest posts