Smoked Venison Boudin

TX300mag

Just finished up a 25lb batch. It's a learning process, but my reservations of using almost all venison were unfounded. I incorporated too much of the broth thinking that the venison might dry a little easier. I put a fairly heavy smoke (oak) and tried to dry it out a little, but it didn't help.

It's got the Acadiana-type moist texture rather than the SE Texas grocery store dry texture. There is much more meat than rice, so I will add more rice to next batch.

I used "junk" trimmings that I wouldn't even use for sausage and trimmed almost nothing. A+ use for scraps, which was original boudin purpose I guess. If I come across any hearts the next few days this is where it'll go.

All in all-venison boudin is a regular from here on out.
3e3f076e0ca50854ed9d5e6b2ba392a1.jpg

58cbb70fcdfe6fbf0610c130a2b2f6b1.jpg

jakeway

Looks great, but don;t waste heart by putting it in there.

Boil the heart till it's cooked through, then let it cool. Slice it thin and put it in a glass jar with lid. After stuffing the heart into the jar, add a mixture of water, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Mix it to taste; some like it sweet, some like it sour.

Seal the jar and put it in the refridgerator at least overnight. Eat it as a snack when watching football games.

TX300mag

jakeway":2n8uxdcp said:
Looks great, but don;t waste heart by putting it in there.

Boil the heart till it's cooked through, then let it cool. Slice it thin and put it in a glass jar with lid. After stuffing the heart into the jar, add a mixture of water, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Mix it to taste; some like it sweet, some like it sour.

Seal the jar and put it in the refridgerator at least overnight. Eat it as a snack when watching football games.

Hmmm...never thought of that. I'll have to try it next year. Thanks, jakeway!

Latest posts