Smoke Roasted Venison Football

TAFKAP

The football roast is one of my favorite cuts to cook. One thing I wish I had remembered was to trim off the big sheet of silverskin....I was in a hurry. Liberally salted and peppered, then sprinkled with garlic powder. I left it in a Ziploc bag all day to brine, and when I came home from work, lit the grill. I split a chunk of cherry to burn with the charcoal, and when I dumped the coals, put another chunk of cherry over the flame to smoke. It went for an hour with the smoke rolling and the temp gauge hovering at/below 300°. When it firmed up, I popped it in a 500° oven for about 5 mins. Let it rest for 15 minutes, and sliced it thin. It was probably one of my best efforts doing this. You could serve this to "I think venison is too gamey" people, and they'd never notice. It was tender and delicious.

Picture in the comments

TAFKAP

It could be a little pinker for my tastes, but I went by firmness not temperature. If I had plugged in a meat thermometer, I would've pulled this at 125° before blasting it in the oven. Still a home run effort

Attachments

• AF436E89-77C4-41A4-92F5-6EFCDBC05C18.jpeg
    AF436E89-77C4-41A4-92F5-6EFCDBC05C18.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90

Trapper John

Beautiful. Quite possibly my favorite cut on the ham. I've cooked those things multiple ways and it always comes out well. I'd happily take a slice or three of that on some good bread with some horseradish sauce.

Latest posts