Smith & Wesson plant moving to Maryville, TN

Chickencoop96

Has anyone else seen or heard this? last I checked they are moving to Maryville and bringing 750 jobs? what are yall's thoughts on this? I live in Maryville and I support the idea of having a small arms plant here, but I feel like this might make the area a lot more crowded and infested with traffic

Antler Daddy

Jobs bring traffic! I hope they are good jobs. TN like many places is growning fast.

I drove 43 miles across suburbia Atlanta yesterday just on roads to get a kayak. . It took me over 2 hours to get to destination.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
When Beretta opened their plant in Gallatin people thought it would bring high paying jobs. Like most assembly plants, it did not.

DaveTN

S&W is already posting some of the preliminary jobs in Tennessee on their website. You guys that are interested should get your applications and resumes submitted. They will start interviewing and making job offers way before they start production.

jejeffrries71

When Beretta opened their plant in Gallatin people thought it would bring high paying jobs. Like most assembly plants, it did not.
I bet there are some high paying jobs there. Plant manager, engineering, materials/purchasing manager, ... would come to mind. Then there are many skilled support postiions that may not be high paying (whatever that is), but that pay very well for the skills, education, and experience required. If you are thinking $30 an hour for assembly work, no that is not going to happen.

DaveTN

Tennessee was selected as the Best Dealmaker thanks to recent deals with such companies as Ford (6,000 jobs), Smith & Wesson (750), Chewy Inc. (1,200), Thermo Fisher Scientific (1,400) and an Amazon corporate headquarters in Nashville (5,000), among others. In addition, the Global Business Alliance recently noted that Tennessee was second to only Minnesota in the growth of jobs from foreign-based employers, growing by 33.4% over the last five years. The state is now home to more than 860 global companies operating plants, offices and other facilities.

"Tennessee is making a name for itself as a leader in attracting new businesses," Mendelson added. "With one of the country's lowest per capita tax burdens, no state income tax or state property tax, the state is making a big statement on how to serve as a magnet that is drawing a lot of interest from the business community."

Latest posts