Slaw

Hawk

This is great slaw. Especially suited for this hot weather.
SLAW

One Cabbage shredded real thin
One green pepper sliced thin
One large white onion sliced thin
� cup Wesson oil
� cup vinegar
Tbsp salt
Tbsp celery seed
� cup sugar

Mix all dry stuff together and toss well, then add the oil and toss again, and then add the vinegar and toss once again.

The above is the original recipe. I have found that if you use the full amount of oil and vinegar called for your slaw will be floating. Cut by � to start with and adjust up or down to suit your taste.

I have made this slaw many times for the Vous and would again if my bowl showed up.

green doe

Stupid question - when you start with lower amounts of the vinegar and oil do you mean you start with lower amounts of the sugar, too?

Hawk

green doe said:
Stupid question - when you start with lower amounts of the vinegar and oil do you mean you start with lower amounts of the sugar, too?
Just the liquids.

TennesseeRains

Hawk - once again - Thanks!

Been wanting me some slaw for sometime!!! Most all calls for mayo and whatnot. Can't have that goodness just yet.

Plan on making your recipe shortly!!!

Hawk

I should have mentioned that the slaw is better if left in the frig overnight. Stir on occasion.

TennesseeRains

HAWK!

Good stuff!

I've found that your recipe is OK - as is - I mix it the best way, which means by hand.

After mixing, however, I've found that it's best to drain off the liquid - and, as you posted, to put your creation in the fridge at least overnight.

Should liquid remain, drain that off as well prior to serving.

GREAT slaw!

I REALLY appreciate your sharing this - as most slaws are what I cannot eat, having mayonnaise as a base.

Thanks for posting. The wife says your slaw recipe WILL be our contribution to the 118th annual Gass family reunion next month. Who am I to disagree with the boss?

Thanks man.

GOOD EATN!!!

Outdoor Lady

WOW... Your bowl is missing? Do you think it was left at the cabin? Whoever get this bowl back to Hawk so that we can have some slaw in 2011!

I am going to try this recipe.

Latest posts