Simms waders???

megalomaniac

Any of you guys use their products???

My moose hunting buddy is STRONGLY recommending I invest in a pair of heavy duty, but breathable waders. Basically they will be worn the entire hunt with raincoats and jackets over the top half of us. He recommended the Simms G4's, but they are $1000.

The g3s ($599( have similar construction with 4 layers of GoreTex in the lowers and 3 layers in the uppers. Supposed to be pretty tough, and they will need to be... crashing thru alders the entire 10 days is expected. I'll also be fishing while in Alaska on a salmon river trip as well.

Just having a hard time justifying spending $600 plus a couple hundred more on wading boots for a set of waders I'll probably only use once in my life.

turk870

Since you're going to be living in them, I would won't the best. I'd also look into wearing chaps over them ( like the briar proofs from Dan's hunting clothing) and carry stuff to repair leaks in the waders.
Not sure if hip waders would work if so look at frog legs from Dan's as well

megalomaniac

Since you're going to be living in them, I would won't the best. I'd also look into wearing chaps over them ( like the briar proofs from Dan's hunting clothing) and carry stuff to repair leaks in the waders.
Not sure if hip waders would work if so look at frog legs from Dan's as well
Great thought on chaps.

I already have some awesome indestructible canvas hip boots I LOVE to fish out of... but my buddy says hip boots are fine 95% of the time. The other 5%... well, they gonna get filled to the brim.

Setterman

I've worn simms waders since they first introduced gore Tex 20+ years ago. I've worn many different ones and don't have one negative thing to say about their products. Yes they are expensive but they hold up and the company stands behind their gear

7mm08

I bought a pair of G4's about 6-7 years and can't kill them. Simms makes quality products. You're already spending $20k , spend another thousand to guarantee being dry.

megalomaniac

I bought a pair of G4's about 6-7 years and can't kill them. Simms makes quality products. You're already spending $20k , spend another thousand to guarantee being dry.
No way I'd spend $20k on a hunt with 2 kids in college and the 3rd about to go!

This is a DIY hunt. Will cost $800 for tag, $800 airfare round trip to Ak and back, $500 food. Another $1300 for the bush pilot. Prob another $500 in incidentals. So around $4000 to do the hunt. Now if I kill a moose, it will cost a legit $3000 to get him back to the states.

But from what I'm hearing from many of you guys is that the g3s for $599 are going to hold up. I've ordered a pair!

7mm08

No way I'd spend $20k on a hunt with 2 kids in college and the 3rd about to go!

This is a DIY hunt. Will cost $800 for tag, $800 airfare round trip to Ak and back, $500 food. Another $1300 for the bush pilot. Prob another $500 in incidentals. So around $4000 to do the hunt. Now if I kill a moose, it will cost a legit $3000 to get him back to the states.

But from what I'm hearing from many of you guys is that the g3s for $599 are going to hold up. I've ordered a pair!
Figured you were going with Jim Shockey! Last I looked he was $25K but you get on TV AND WITH YOUR MUG WHY NOT!!! Ha!

G3's will work great as well…. Lucky for you you don't have to have custom fits like I did….
" size 15 shoe????"

Good luck !!!

megalomaniac

There is an outfitter who brings in 4 clients to the same drainage I will be in. But he charges $29,000 for the hunt. And that doesn't count your tag, airfare, etc. No way I'm paying someone $29,000 to cook for me, pitch a tent for me, and pack my moose for me. Total cost would be $36,000 all inclusive!!!!!

Bgoodman30

Any of you guys use their products???

My moose hunting buddy is STRONGLY recommending I invest in a pair of heavy duty, but breathable waders. Basically they will be worn the entire hunt with raincoats and jackets over the top half of us. He recommended the Simms G4's, but they are $1000.

The g3s ($599( have similar construction with 4 layers of GoreTex in the lowers and 3 layers in the uppers. Supposed to be pretty tough, and they will need to be... crashing thru alders the entire 10 days is expected. I'll also be fishing while in Alaska on a salmon river trip as well.

Just having a hard time justifying spending $600 plus a couple hundred more on wading boots for a set of waders I'll probably only use once in my life.

I have the G4s with boot foot. They were great for 4 seasons. I used them duck hunting and I have some minor leaks and sent them back this year.. They said they pretty much couldn't repair them (or didn't want to) and offered me a 30% off discount... Ill probably go Sitkas for warranty and repairability next go around..

Anyways I have a used pair of G4s Id let go for a low price if you want them?

megalomaniac

I have the G4s with boot foot. They were great for 4 seasons. I used them duck hunting and I have some minor leaks and sent them back this year.. They said they pretty much couldn't repair them (or didn't want to) and offered me a 30% off discount... Ill probably go Sitkas for warranty and repairability next go around..

Anyways I have a used pair of G4s Id let go for a low price if you want them?
What size boot? what size wader?

I've already ordered the stockingfoot g3s, but they have a great return policy

Mental Reck

I beat the brush up in Alaska for 30 years, Simms are not required unless you want a pair. There's others just as good between $200-$400. Simms makes an awesome product, but the majority of the cost is for the name.

Most if not the majority, was done with hip waders. 😊

Bgoodman30

What size boot? what size wader?

I've already ordered the stockingfoot g3s, but they have a great return policy
Size 11 Large. I just looked at them. Not going to lie they are in pretty rough shape. Duck hunting is tough on waders.. They sent me photos of the leaks and put some repair kits in the box.. I was kind of disappointed considering they are their top of the line wader but they have been well used...