Waders

J.W.308

Looking to buy some waders for fishing. Getting into fly fishing and would like to get a pair. Any suggestions on what to look for or avoid ?

CATCHDAWG

Get a pair of stocking foot waders with a good pair of wading boots. I prefer the felt sole boots although there are other options. Good boots are more important than the waders. But you don't want to skimp out on either one. My current setup is a pair of Orvis nylon breathable waders with a pair of Simms wading boots. They have both been serving me well for several years.

scn

Waders (and to some degree, boots) usually fall into the you get what you pay for category. You can go cheap, but, they usually don't last very long before leaking. Some of the mid-priced waders often are your best bang for your buck.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a pm.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
If you duck hunt just use the ones you already have. And one thing if you get felt soles and fish other states some have outlawed felt soles. Missouri did because of and invasive species of moss called "Didymo". Just something to keep in mind if you think about felt soles.

Crow Terminator

Get a pair of stocking foot waders with a good pair of wading boots. I prefer the felt sole boots although there are other options. Good boots are more important than the waders. But you don't want to skimp out on either one. My current setup is a pair of Orvis nylon breathable waders with a pair of Simms wading boots. They have both been serving me well for several years.
^^^ What he said. Waders with boots with rubber lugs on the bottom are falls waiting to happen on slick rocks. Waders with felt bottom boots are awesome. My first pair had boots built in but after heavy use, they leak where the top of the boots are sown into the waders. I have since went to stocking waders with a good pair of wading boots. It's better in the summer when I just get out in it without waders and just wear the boots and wading pants or shorts.

Safari Hunt

Neoprene are good for cold weather but stifling in hot weather. Wife and I have Hodgman who has been in business for over 100 years.Had two pair of Cabela's neoprene and leaked like a sieve. Buy boots one to two sizes over your shoe size to allow for heavy socks. Even in the summer, cold water fishing will freeze your tootsies. I wade wet in the summer.

7mm08

Before I retired and had money floating around I bought a pair of Simms G4 GORTEX waders made to fit my 6'7" 300# frame. Custom ordered I AM ASHAMED to say what I paid but I will likely use these the rest of my life and yes they have a zipper in the front for my 60 + hear

this summer I ordered a pair of cheap Cabela NON-Gortex waders just to wade the flats in the fall in SC. No zipper

BOTH pairs don't leak!!!! Will my Cabelas last forever no..... but they didn't break the bank. I have also had several pairs in the past that leaked and I either glued them or sent them back for replacement. Buy what you can afford but starting out I think the Cabela's are great for the money.

buy some cheap boots and think about getting some YAKTAX's ( 20+ $$) I used those in Alaska and they are awesome

5 years from now and you're totally addicted...... drop some cash on great equipment and then fish so much you wear it out AND you look good in it while you are casting 50-80ft with ONE backcast!

Last edited:

moondawg

Neoprene are good for cold weather but stifling in hot weather. Wife and I have Hodgman who has been in business for over 100 years.Had two pair of Cabela's neoprene and leaked like a sieve. Buy boots one to two sizes over your shoe size to allow for heavy socks. Even in the summer, cold water fishing will freeze your tootsies. I wade wet in the summer.
^^^^^This^^^^^

I'd opt for the breathable waders. They're lighter in the summer, should you fish waters too cold to wet wade. And you can always layer up when the weather is colder.

Latest posts