Sight that no hunter wants to see!

jman 125

Boh guys were experienced coyote trappers. But none of the road network traps worked.
BSK
How long did they trap ? The reason i ask is time is a trappers friend. We average anywhere from 1 to 6 days per trap. Like i said earlier a coyote is smart. The locals know you have been there. We ran cams on some of our most productive set and we would get pictures of the same coyotes every night but noticed when tbere was a new dog we hadn't seen for whatever reason that dog was the one working the sets and getting caught. Really changed the way I trap coyotes.
But like everything else in the world of hunting and trapping catching isn't a guarantee. I jave trapped 2 farms side by side for coons cats and coyotes catch the crap out of coyotes and cats on one farm and never caught a coon on tbat farm but next door all we catch is coons and no coyotes or cats. Same ag same swamp and creeks. Hero to one farmer flop to the next door farmer. And by the way my offer still stands to you once i get over this broken ankle.

jman 125

They tried for a couple weeks each, in early summer.
Thats a hard time to trap. But can be productive. Our most productive time is right after deer season is closing through last of march but can be really good late spring early summer. And awesome when pups are scattered.

TheLBLman

They tried for a couple weeks each, in early summer.
Early summer is typically the worst time for trapping any carnivore.

Their prey species are typically at the most abundant, and most vulnerable, time for the year.
Lots of baby & young rabbits, rodents, birds, turkeys, you name it.
Coyotes tend to be fat & lazy in early summer.

Very best time for trapping carnivores is probably @ mid-January thru mid-February.
But any time of year can work.

But, imo, for the primary purpose of enhancing both fawn & turkey poult survival,
the very best month is likely May, even better is a 2-month period of mid-April thru mid-June.
This allows baby turkeys & deer to get a tad bigger/older before a transient coyote, bobcat, racoon, has much opportunity to establish new residence in the trapping area.