Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12x40 review

REN

Ok I went out on a limb and got one of these to try out, as there is not a bunch of info out there on them minus some rep reviews which I never take to heart. For starters Ill link the details below and not go over the standard specs on the thing ill just give my real world view one it compared to other scopes I have owned.

Got the scope for $240 shipped from Optics Planet and got the 4-12x50mm with the duplex hellfire illuminated reticle. Got the scope yesterday and for starters the box it comes in is SUPER nice, I mean like it comes in a way that says the company really has something to show and they even get the details down to the box which was a nice surprise. The scope seems super well built and has some weight to it and a finish that feels like it is very solidly put together. I got the grey finish because it was cheaper then black :). The turrets and caps are solid and have a very nice noticable click to them. The cool part on the turrets is you can set them back to zero by just lifting up on the turret after sighting in and scrolling back to 0 and push back down. A very cool feature IMO over others in the same $ range. The other very cool thing is you can go online and fill out a spec sheet or mail it in using your bullet info and sight in yardage and they will send you a FREE turret that is dialed in specially for that set up, again a cool feature I have never been offered by others in that price range or higher.

now to the glass. went out this morning and tested it in somewhat low light and didnt have any issues making out targets and images out to 400yds on 9 power and was even still pretty usable on 12 power. This was compared to the Leupold vx3i I have as well and they were pretty close to the same on 10power TO MY EYES. NOTE this was just out my back yard in a wild open field so light was not a huge issue, may be very different in a wooded area so Ill try and do some testing on that at some point. Around lunch today took it back out and again to my eyes the images were very crisp and colorful (as much as can be on an overcast day like today) and didnt seem much of a different in the Vx3i and this one with maybe a slight edge to the leupold on 10power. There was no haze or distortion on the edges and image stayed crisp from 4 all the way to 9. For the price is it one of if not the best one I have looked though under $250 as far as color saturation and clarity.

Eye relief was pretty consistent from 4 to 12 but you do lose a tad around the 9-10 power mark. overall it was plenty of relief for my preference and didnt have any awkward eye roll at higher powers. Did have a tad more then my vx3i but that may be due to that one is on a gun and this one I had just on a stand to keep it steady. Now my favorite part is the hellfire reticle. It has a very cool look to it and has a great design on turning on and off as well as setting it to the brightness you like. The dot wasnt to large to cover targets at long range and has a wide selections of brightness options that can be set to your preference and turned on and off to that setting in one click. with it off it looks just like a standard reticle.

to those not aware the warranty on them is no different then vortex, they are backed for life for any owner no matter how they get broken. FOR THE PRICE it is prob my favorite scope under the $250 range that is packed with features far greater then others in that range.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/elect ... /whiskey3/

Pros

very clear glass and very crisp
turrets can be set back to zero by hand with no tools required
hellfire reticle imo is super cool
adjustable eye cup by a simple twist of the hand
solidly built
awesome presentation and boxing (minor but still cool the detail they went to on it)
Good eye relief
FREE custom turret set up for your bullet of choice

Cons

Weight is going to be high for some
lose some eye relief at high power
middle of the road on FOV for others in the same power and price range
very big eye cup that COULD get in the way of some bolt set ups. On a 60degree there would be no issue for sure. To be clear the bolt will clear no problem but gloves and figures may be tight depending how far back you set it and if you have a full range bolt.
resale will not be like other known brands for a while

bottom line is for the price it seems Sig really wants to get into the market of scopes and PACKED this scope with features to get their name out there and start building a following. TO ME it has better glass then others like the VX1 and even Vx2, Prostaffs, Minox etc and with a lot of extra features added to it like the reticle and turret design. its not a Zeiss or even the Vx3i but its not very far behind. Their Whiskey5 scope is more inline with those

Granted I have had the scope only a few days so far so I will be mounting it and sighting it in and doing some Coyote hunting over the next month so I will be putting it though some more extensive testing.

280longshot

I believe there are a lot of nice quality scopes on the market today that just don't sell as good or get recognition as a Leupold.
I've just recently started reading about the Athlon scopes and they seem to have a great selection with some very good quality scopes in the $250.00 range.
I spoke with Doug @ Cameraland and he said that if you buy a Athlon scope from them and are not satisfied just return it.
I was very curious about the Sig Sauer scopes, thanks for the review.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wsm

With the warranty Sig has on their scopes it shows they make a quality product. I have two of the Whiskey 3 on my MZ loaders ,I think they have very good glass and are very good clicks with the turrets.