Shoulder Mount Problems

gtk

Staff member
So we are moving to CO in a couple weeks, and downsizing considerably. There is no way I can take all of my deer mounts with me, and not having any luck on family holding them for me for a few years until (if) we return . A friend has offered his new shop that he is building, but it is not heated/cooled.

I'm thinking if I leave them in a hot shop/garage, they will be ruined in a couple years at least. Have any of y'all ever had any success leaving mounts in the garage with this southern heat/humidity ?

fairchaser

I would think any drastic temperature changes would shorten their life. It's sad but someday our prized trophies will be garage sale fodder. A temperature controlled storage unit would be best but unless it's temporary what's the point. I do keep several mounts of mine in a cabin where there is no heat or air unless someone is there. One elk has been there 15 years and I've seen no ill effects. The eyes will crack at the edges regardless but this can be repaired.

AT Hiker

Humidity and temp change can affect them but for the short term I wouldn't worry to much. Keep out of direct sunlight and don't let hem get wet, don't let bugs get to them either.

If the skins are tanned your better off. Most likely if anything drastic happens the nose pad will crack and around the eyes will crack, super simple fix for any taxidermist to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts