should I get this checked out?

Shed Hunter

I'm 90% sure this is a claw from something. It is too big to be from any modern species around here. I found it years ago near a manmade lake.

Snapshot_20120729_3.jpg
Snapshot_20120729_2.jpg

Is it valuable?!

Shed Hunter

I actually had someone look at it for me. They think it is a Oviraptor claw from the Hell Creek formation. I still need an actual paleontolost to varify though.

And yes it is petrified. I'm also 100% sure it isn't a resin fake (hot needle tested it)

I have better pics that Ill add later.

Shed Hunter

geezer said:
MC, that is cool! You have a cool keep sake there, dont ever sell it, pass it down. Its not everyday you find a prehistoric piece of history. Congrats!

I was planning on selling it to pay for food plots but now Im kinda thinking different. After all of the work trying to get it checked out I think Im just going to keep it. I seen one on eBay for $2000 but the value outways what it's worth.

Shed Hunter

Haven't really done anything with it but a few guys that know about paleontology said they think it's an awesome find. They told me to carbon date it but Im not to worried about spending the money to get it carbon dated or anything like that, Im just gonna hang on to it.

BuckWild

Master Chief said:
Haven't really done anything with it but a few guys that know about paleontology said they think it's an awesome find. They told me to carbon date it but Im not to worried about spending the money to get it carbon dated or anything like that, Im just gonna hang on to it.

Just a little info...you can't carbon date rock, only organic material can be carbon dated and it's only accurate on objects that are less than 50,000 years old.

Shed Hunter

BuckWild said:
Master Chief said:

Just a little info...you can't carbon date rock, only organic material can be carbon dated and it's only accurate on objects that are less than 50,000 years old.

It isn't a rock. Nowhere near heavy enough to be a rock. It is light like antler but that itself is strange as a petrified claw should actually reseble a rock in terms of weight. On the other hand, we hot needle tested it and it isn't fake.

No matter what it is I'm keeping it!

Better pictures.
101_0305.jpg

101_0321.jpg

view of the base
101_0319.jpg

in the dog house

Just posted a pic for a guy that found a much larger example of this....... i believe it is a sloth ...... Check out the post in the general forum

Latest posts