Should I Bush Hog Before the Season?

R&T Farm

I just bought a property a few months ago. I haven't had time to cut the hay.
I was thinking about just bush hog'n 25 or so acres. I'll be able to see the deer (now they disappear in the hay) but it might cut down on the number of deer since they can't hide. There are other fields and woods around the acreage I may cut.
My question is, would you recommend cutting it or letting it go?

Thank you.

backyardtndeer

To me it would depend on how tall it is now. If you bushhog all of it, leave some areas next to woods or brush areas for the does to hide and bed in. You could just cut some lanes.

CritterGitter

This is what im gonna try . Instead of the whole field
20220904_104431.jpg

cecil30-30

I bushhogged mine right before spring Greenup and it is already grown up head high which I'll leave for cover and forage this winter. I plan to do all my bushhoging late March. That way it has all summer to grow back up.

MickThompson

I bushhogged mine right before spring Greenup and it is already grown up head high which I'll leave for cover and forage this winter. I plan to do all my bushhoging late March. That way it has all summer to grow back up.
Great time to do it- before nesting, but about as late as possible so the little critters aren't exposed any longer than necessary.

Have you considered burning?

DoubleRidge

NO way would I bush hog entire field....as others have mentioned...you could cut multiple strips or lanes...by doing so you create edge and diversity....do it soon and the strips will have time to green up...also as mentioned...you could sow the strips in winter wheat or cereal rye....grown up field with green strips strategically placed sounds very nice.

Congratulations on getting to hunt your own land for the first time...that's awesome!!

megalomaniac

If managing strictly for deer you should bushhgog late July/ early August... that way there is a ton of new fresh growth and knee high cover for the deer by November (amazing how deer can feel secure with 16in tall cover).

Bushhog now, and you will still get some regrowth by rifle season assuming we get adequate rains, but not enough for the deer to feel secure in.

Like others have said, I'd bushhog some steps now as shooting lanes, then finish bushhogging after you are done hunting.

RockMcL

" just bought a property a few months ago. I haven't had time to cut the hay."

Just some extra things to think about long term:

Are you ever going to hay or sell/trade hay rights with a neighbor?
If above is possible just make sure you don't let it go too far/long.

Watch your berry brambles. If you let them get too thick (just a couple years) you will be scratched/bleeding a lot yourself tracking deer. They are valuable to your wildlife but trust me, in the open areas you won't get ride of them unless you let things grow into full forest canopy.

Depending on what's invasive junk is growing around you and what tree/bushes are on the edges, if you don't mow or burn every couple years you may end up with acres of things like perilla or even sassafras & PawPaw saplings growing that deer don't eat.

All about your long term goals.......

First year cutting your paths is safe (overseed if you want) and especially around the forest edges will give you shots

Lost Lake

I agree about cover and browse, but if you let it go too high, the deer might stay in it most of the time. Like Urban Hunter said, sightings will plummet. We'd hear chases and catch fleeting glimpses of deer in ours, but seldom get shots, and needed blood transfusions after dragging one thru it.

I'd do like Mega said, and cut in early August. You'll have good cover that's manageable by gun season.

Last edited:

skipperbrown

Cut shooting lanes and then spread wheat into the lanes. The deer will likely slow down to grab a mouthful of wheat during their travels. When I hunted in AL where baiting is legal and it was too thick to hunt, we'd set up on long straight logging roads and pour corn on down the road. All the crossing deer would stop briefly to pick up a grain or two before moving on. It gave us a chance to evaluate the deer and decide if it was shootable or not.

Latest posts