Shotgun value

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I bought my son a used1187 back a few years ago
Paid about $500 for it, can't remember exactly?
Carried it back and spent another $100 on it because it kept messing up and wouldn't shoot all three times without jamming up.
Never did really work right.

Ended up getting him an SX3 the next year so he no longer uses it.

One of his friends is looking for one and can't find one anywhere.
Man was gonna sell it to him with the understanding it ain't "right".
What would you say would be a fair price?

Oh yeah it's blued with black synthetic stock
3 1/2"

Ed B

Ask him to make a fair offer...I wouldn't take anything over $150-200 for it knowing it's not right. Then again I tend to come out on the losing end of most deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

RUGER":3an6fj1b said:
Man was gonna sell it to him with the understanding it ain't "right".
I would not sell it knowing it isn't right, regardless of how bad anyone wanted it. That seems like a recipe for bad juju down the road, and a gun and a couple hundred dollars is not worth that to me. Good luck with your decision.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have owned 3 of the 3-1/2" versions and personally loved them all. Currently I have one with a 21" barrel I turkey hunt with and I have one that is an XCS version that is may backup duck gun. I may have gotten lucky, but all of mine have cycled without issues as long as I shoot heavy enough loads. Target loads do not work in them, but anything high brass has always cycled fine. I wouldn't take less than 300 for it to the average joe, but to a friend of your son you may cut a deal especially with the issues.

Ed B

Chaneylake":219n4mjs said:
Chaneylake":219n4mjs said:
95% of the owners have no earthly idea how to clean/service a 1100 or 1187.

I can do so blindfolded

Only shotguns that I own. I have 3 of them.

Been shooting them since the 1970's

Out of curiosity, roughly what years were yours made? My dad has a couple from the 70's and 80's that are great and flawless, just carry a spare oring.

Got a couple buddies that have bought one in the last 5-6 years and nothing but trouble, one even had casting issues but was outside the year warranty so no help.

infoman jr.

Ed B":bmygscsg said:
Chaneylake":bmygscsg said:
Chaneylake":bmygscsg said:
95% of the owners have no earthly idea how to clean/service a 1100 or 1187.

I can do so blindfolded

Only shotguns that I own. I have 3 of them.

Been shooting them since the 1970's

Out of curiosity, roughly what years were yours made? My dad has a couple from the 70's and 80's that are great and flawless, just carry a spare oring.

Got a couple buddies that have bought one in the last 5-6 years and nothing but trouble, one even had casting issues but was outside the year warranty so no help.

What sort of casting issues?

Ed B

I'm looking at the owners manual and going off memory so I could be off. Based off the 11-87 diagram (https://www.remington.com/sites/default ... nd1187.pdf ) on page 22 it was either part #39 or 55. It was a part that when you take the gun completely apart should still be attached to the receiver. It looked like it had a pin or two that was supposed to be on the inside of the receiver to hold that piece in place like it was pressed/stamped into it or something that had broke and had allowed the piece to slide forward and wouldn't allow the gun to even be reassembled. It was like the piece fit within a rail and the pin/stud was to hold it laterally.

That is some really bad/broad info and I know that you know WAY more on the remington line so not sure if my description even makes sense or not.

gtk

Staff member
thanks to someone posting a link a while back on the "deals" forum, i got a brand new 1187 from walmart for $200 and some change. So far i like the way it shoots/handles, but i' can't hit crap with it.

kamml

I have an 11-87, 3" chamber, vent rib, screw in chokes I used on skeet trap back in the 80's and it is a great gun. Always broke the bird if I got the aim right and no jamming, ever.

sll

This can be said for most any Remington product the last ten years. I was a die-hard fan but I would rather have 1 built in the 60's-80's than 100 built later than 2005.

Latest posts