Shotgun slugs shooting

mike243

No but going to look for some reviews on some.we drawed oakridge want to carry my 20g instead of the 12g

FULLDRAWXX75

I have several shotgun rigs set up exclusively for slug gun hunting, nothing else. Two smoothbore, Two rifled. A good hunting buddy and close friend has a slug choke for his gun. I can out shoot his gun with all four of mine. He is only good for @ 50 yds tops with good accuracy.
Here is a link with several other opinions:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 8&t=215978

FDXX75

redblood

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
I have several shotgun rigs set up exclusively for slug gun hunting, nothing else. Two smoothbore, Two rifled. A good hunting buddy and close friend has a slug choke for his gun. I can out shoot his gun with all four of mine. He is only good for @ 50 yds tops with good accuracy.

FDXX75

what are your fully rifled guns and how do they shoot. which slugs shoot best?

mike243

Bad as i hate it i will prob shoot the mossy500 withthe rifled barrel to get distance & accuracy.going to shoot a few foster slugs with my 20g & see what is the limit

southernhunter

I took my 20 gauge 870 smooth bore out the other day and to my disbelief it shot high at a hundred yards but I could not get decent groups with the cylinder bore so I am going back and try again with the modified barrel.

FULLDRAWXX75

redblood said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:

FDXX75

what are your fully rifled guns and how do they shoot. which slugs shoot best?

#1 - Remington 11-87, that I replaced the factor fully rifled cantilevered barrel with a Hastings barrel after one season of owning the gun. I tested no less than a dozen different types of slugs and the best consistantly grouping slugs were the Brenneke (Heavy Field Short Magnum, 2.75"/1.25oz) they are deadly.(furthest kill shot 154yds, tracking dist. 0 yds)

#2 - H&R 12ga slugger (heavy barrel) single shot. Did the same testing with slugs, the Remington Solid Copper Sabot are tack drivers out it.(furthest kill shot 110yds, tracking dist. 30yds)

Both guns will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100yds all day long, and stay within 2.5-3" out to 150yds. 95% of my shooting is 60yds or less, usually less. But, I have on occasion been presented with a long shot situation and had total confidence in my gun and its ability.
I prefer 2.75" over 3", way less recoil, improved accuracy!!

Here is a target from one of my smoothbores (Browning A-5)using Remington Foster rifled style slugs (2.75"/1 1/8 oz)
100_1562.jpg

100_1561.jpg

If you have any further question, you can message me or ask here

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

I personally was not happy with the groups I was getting with the factory barrel (averaged @ 3" groups at 100 yds) I felt the gun add better potential.................the Hastings barrel is also several inches long. I had an immediate improvement in groupings upon installing the new barrel..........I can overlap holes at 100yds.

FDXX75

Latest posts