Shotgun scope?

LY

I've got a 3 year old Nikon Prostaff scope that I'm thinking of switching over to a 12ga 870 with a 20" slug barrel.

I'll be shooting 2 3/4" slugs, anyone have any similar experience and know if this scope will stand up to the abuse?

Thanks, LY

JimFromTN

I believe it should be fine. My understanding is that the only difference between the prostaff rifle scope and the prostaff shotgun scope is that the parallax is set for 100yds for the rifle scope and 75yds for the shotgun scope. The shotgun scope has a slightly longer eye relief also.

TheLBLman

That scope should be able to handle the recoil just fine.

IMO, the main concern when using a scope on a shotgun should be eye relief. I don't want anything less than 3 1/2 inches of eye relief.

I'm very happy with the Nikon 1.75 - 4.5x (with a 20mm objective lens) I have on my turkey gun.

One other thing, for turkey hunting, a small objective may be advantageous over a larger objective, i.e. you certainly don't need a 50mm objective lense for it's low-light gathering ability. For deer hunting, light gathering ability is more an issue.

Hatchee

Hey I got a question for you guys with scopes on your turkey guns. Been wanting to do that too. If I get everything set up on the gun like I want it, would it be ok to use bird shot or some other low recoiling round to get my pattern close before I start fine tuning with the actual turkey loads?
I was thinking mostly about recoil and cost.
Also.....has anyone used the B-Square Mounts? I was leaning toward them because that would save drilling and tapping a shotgun.

buckdead

Hatchee said:
Hey I got a question for you guys with scopes on your turkey guns. Been wanting to do that too. If I get everything set up on the gun like I want it, would it be ok to use bird shot or some other low recoiling round to get my pattern close before I start fine tuning with the actual turkey loads?
I was thinking mostly about recoil and cost.
Also.....has anyone used the B-Square Mounts? I was leaning toward them because that would save drilling and tapping a shotgun.

its alright to use dove loads to center your scope. it doesnt mean your turkey loads will be hitting center tho, but it will get ya close. i know whatcha mean about cost turkey loads are getting expensive these days. check out oldgobbler.com. there are alot of guys that can tell you anything you need to know about turkey guns those guys really know there stuff. and if you like turkey hunting as much as i do you will really enjoy that website.

jaybird62

Ditto on using dove loads to get your turkey gun on paper. B-Square mounts are good, too. Just make sure to NOT tighten them down too much or it'll pinch the receiver and make the gun malfununction.

Hatchee

jaybird62 said:
Ditto on using dove loads to get your turkey gun on paper. B-Square mounts are good, too. Just make sure to NOT tighten them down too much or it'll pinch the receiver and make the gun malfununction.

I figured that on the overtightening. That's the reason I asked because I ran into that problem with a sidesaddle shell carrier.
I wasn't sure how stable the B-Square would be if you could only tighten it to a certain degree.

Jaybird, PM answered

Latest posts