Shotgun for deer hunting?

David

How many of you guys out there use a shotgun w/slugs for deer hunting.

Thinking about getting a rifled barrel for my gun and using it.

What is the range of a shotgun slug or what is the max distance you would go while using one?

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I have used a shotgun with slugs in the past. With some of the barrels and ammo these days 50 to 75 yards should not be a problem. You just have to get out to the range with some ammo and see what you're comfortable with. A scoped barrel will help alot.

mike243

i have a rifled barrel & it would be no problem out to 125-150yards,some of the slug only guns & barrels get tooted as 200yd no problem,for me i will stick to 150y max as it is used only on drawed hunts or maybe out of state some day,mike243

RussellvilleRob

I love my slug barrel. I carried it a little last year while hunting the thick stuff. I hear of 200-yd shots but 100-yds would be a long shot for me.
I shot a doe at AEDC 2-years ago at 110-YDS. The deer dropped in its tracks.

Winchester

A good slug gun with a rifled barrel, and quality scope, shooting the right slugs, will perform pretty well out to 150 yards!

JDBinTN

TN RDG RNR said:
Give the Hornaday SST slugs a try if you do, it should help on the range issue. [/quote

I shot a 8pt. @ 95yds. with SST slugs he only went 20 yds. and get real good groups at 150 yds. with my 870.

Francis

I have 2, 12 ga rifled slug shotguns. I only shoot Hasting laser accurate 3" magnums. They are a 1 1/4 oz slug. Zero'd at 100 yds. At 127 yards I hardley notice the drop and put the slug over an 1.75" deep into an oak tree. The deer I got year before last literally fell over dead. (I am a good shooter, but not the worlds greatest hunter)
High velocity rounds are good, but for knock down, without having to worry about any accidents 2 miles away, you cannot beat a rifled slug gun, in my opinion.
Go to www.slugsrus.com and watch the ballistic video's.

CZ284

I have a BPS with a Hastings rifled barrel and red dot scope. It shoots the Federal Premuim Barnes bullets into one hole at 50 yards. I've taken a lot of large Minnesota deer with it, all one shot kills. Largest one weighed 265 lbs. field dressed. Down here I use it a lot on evening hunts, they just don't go far and you get a great blood trail if you have to track them at all. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with a slug gun at all. Farthest shot I've made was about 125 yards, no problem. Good luck

JimFromTN

I have a hastings paradox on my 870. I would not shoot much over 100yds. I've killed the majority of deer with it including a 12pt at 40 yards and an 8pt at 75 yards. Hastings barrels have a 1-34 twist.

Here is an interesting article.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=44960

Here is another interesting article.

The One in 28 Twist Rate and How it Came to Be

Back more than a few years ago (Figure around 1989) Randy Fritz from Tar-Hunt Custom Rifles and I were both working our own specialized businesses - he with the beginnings of what is now a household name, Tar-Hunt, and I with Accuracy Innovations which soon came to be Sabot Technologies Inc.? We both could see the problems with the BRI sabot slug, mainly extended range accuracy.? Randy with his quest for accuracy and his bolt guns along with his knowledge of benchrest rifles soon became intrigued with what I was playing at, trying to calculate the "perfect rate of twist" for a rifled shotgun barrel..
My pursuit left a stack of legal pads about 1 foot thick, each one filled with equations. I had found the correct number for twist but had no gun to prove it on and with limited contacts in button rifling . . ., well you can imagine how important Randy?s Tar-Hunt slug gun became.
Enter Shaw barrels and a fellow by the name of Olie Olson, General Manager for the Small Arms Manufacturing Company.? Small Arms supplied Shaw barrels for Randy?s 12 gauge bolt action slug gun.? And good shooters they were too. But extended accuracy at 125 and 150 yards still was not there.? Both Randy and I agreed that slug guns should be able to achieve sub-minute groups out to 125 yards and beyond.
You have to remember that we were working with this BRI sabot slug only, at that time. This was before the Lightfield Hybred?, Remington?s copper solid, etc. By far, the BRI was the sabot of the day.
When I finally explained to Randy my findings on rate of twist that had been triple check and cross checked through my calculations, he said that if? I was that positive that the 1/28 twist rate was the way to go, we?ll take a ride to Small Arms and see if we could coerce Mr. Olson into selling us a button at cost so we could have him make us one barrel to put it to the test.? Well Mr. Olson agreed.? About 3 ? weeks went by when Randy called and said the barrel was in, he'd assembled a Tar-Hunt bolt gun with it installed, and we could shoot the following week.
That following week I drove up to Bloomsburg to the range.? I was elated because after 1? years of work, off and on between other business responsibilities, I was about to see shotgun history in the making. (If it worked.)
Conditions at the range were less than perfect due to crosswinds.? But we carried on anyway.? With a premium barrel and an excellent gun we both were ready to witness what we had hoped for.? At all yardages groups tightened up with the 1/28 twist rate compared to the 1/34 that was standard at the time.
Well, the rest is history. Tar-Hunt has gone on to become one of the leaders in slug gun extended accuracy. Randy continues to make extraordinary slug guns and rifles at Tar Hunt Custom Rifles Inc. in? Bloomsburg, PA and oversees the technical needs for Lightfield Ammunition Corporation.? Olie Olson retired from Small Arms Manufacturing Co.? Without him saying ?yes? to Randy and me this achievement probably never would have occurred.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? As for myself, I have gone on to design and patent Sabot Technologies Inc.?s Sabot Pressure Wad with the hammerhead slug that is now the Hastings Laser Sabot Slug along with overseeing Hastings Ammunition Division.?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?The Universal Arbor, my first patented shotgun product, is still a profitable product for Sabot Technologies. As for current projects, with Sabot Technologies, I consult and develop new products such as the Trail Maker Scent Stick (just recently released) and am working on a 5 station loader that roll crimps,? plus a new slug for smoothbores for other clients.
Again, the total reason for the 1/28 twist rate is for extended accuracy. The 1/28 imparts spin (rpm) on the slug faster and therefore the slug stays stable longer. These extended accuracies are out to 125 and even 150 yards. By the way, again the 1/28 twist rate was designed for the BRI and any slug of at least that length or longer.(Shorties need not apply)
I never would have thought that my theory and equations would have ended up changing so many manufacturers? points of view on twist rate. Amazing how many big guys wind up following, not leading, in developing things.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?I hope you enjoyed this little walk through the past. It?s satisfying to be right and first at the same time after so much thought, work, hope and belief.? Most of all it?s fun and gratifying to be able to continue with projects that others find just as important as I do.

Shoot safely,

Rich Knoster

Remi1187

Remington 1187 SPS Sportsman, Cantalever scope mount-fully rifled barrel, Leupold 3x9x32 VX III and Remington "Corelokt" sabots. This combo produces CONSISTENT 4" groups at 150 yards from the bench. Now for a semi-auto that's pretty darn good.
It would take a whole bunch of show and tell to get me to hunt with any other slug gun. I am very, very happy with it's performance, to include the optics.

Polecat

I have a Mossberg 835 Trophy Slugster, pump gun, 24" fully rifled cantlevered slug barrel with 32 ports in the end of the barrel and it wears a 4x Leupold scope. I've killed deer out to 125yds with it using the Winchester BRI hourglass shaped slugs. Truthfully it shoots a better group than some deer rifles I own. At one time I didn't own a high powered rifle for deer hunting and strictly used this in the fall and winter for deer out of necessity and in the spring I swapped barrels and turkey hunted with it. Right now a coworker has it, he "borrows" it every year and has carried it to Illinois and Ohio several times and has taken some pretty nice deer with it. Pesters the snot out of me every year to sell it to him.

postal rage

Just bought a slug barrel for my Mossberg 500. Sighted it in the other day, and it shoots great. Shot Hornady SST. Groups on top of each other.

Polecat

Remi1187 said:
Sounds like a nice slug gun Polecat. You ever hunt Ft Campbell?

Never have. Pretty ironic since I work in North Clarksville. I've planned on it several times but it just keeps getting pushed to the side. I will eventually. Just a little intimidated by the whole phone registration process.

Remi1187

I would encourage you to give it a go. For as little as 15 dollars you get 3 deer, one of wich is a buck, to augment your state tags. As far as the phone-in system and everything else concerning a Campbell hunt, play by the rules and it IS WELL WORTH your time.

lung-buster

I shot 2 does last season with a 12ga mossburg 500 smooth bore. One was about 45 and the other one was at 97yds. I had already tagged out on bucks and figured i pop some does with a slug. Man it was fun huntin with slugs it sure puts a hurtin on deer.

Latest posts