Shell help

infoman jr.

My opinion...it's a gas operated auto. The sudden slowing of the payload trying to go through such a tight choke is causing a pressure spike, but also allowing the action time to start trying to eject... ripping the brass and no longer supporting the brass. Under pressure, the brass is sealed in the chamber...with no support, it bulges.
Think of Glock brass...the unsupported part bulges out ..same thing.
I agree.

DaveTN

The popular consensus at Shotgun World on this is that its over pressure from a load that is too heavy for that gun. As they point out, your manual tells you not to do what you are doing.

USE ONLY SUITABLE AMMUNITION!!!

This semi-automatic shotgun is designed to be used with factory loaded shot shells. It is chambered as follows;

FOR 20 GA, between 2 3/4" (7/8 oz) and 3" (1 1/4 oz)

CHRIS WILSON

My opinion...it's a gas operated auto. The sudden slowing of the payload trying to go through such a tight choke is causing a pressure spike, but also allowing the action time to start trying to eject... ripping the brass and no longer supporting the brass. Under pressure, the brass is sealed in the chamber...with no support, it bulges.
Think of Glock brass...the unsupported part bulges out ..same thing.
Agree....if it's a semiautomatic, high pressure causing the action to prematurely disengage. Load is too hot or too heavy.

Last edited:

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Its from the heavy payload in a semi auto . The best way to explain it is that it screws the timing up of the cycle and the brass rim is the weak point (for now) . I used to have some of those in my 20 gauge autoloaders. That same shell should act better in an inertia operated shotgun and be no problem in pumps. . The heavy loads are harder on gas guns.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
568 same as all my other tss shells, its only this one manufacturer's shell that does it, i think they're over pressured and they say its my gun
More than likely their data is safe and its the other tss shells that are probably way safer. Try their shells in a pump gun or a benelli and see if it happens. I bet the hull will be fine.
Gas guns are notorious for doing exactly what you see with loads that are a little hot (but safe )

rifle02

I'm thinking your Bolt is moving back while the pressure is still too high. The bulged cartridge head and unseated primer indicate that the bolt is not holding the cartridge in the chamber. I'm assuming you're using a gas operated semi auto. The way to solve this issue is do not shoot those cartridges in your shotgun.

Latest posts