Shed bucks!!!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have seen where on occasion a sick or stress buck would shed early but hunting in Stewart County this morning I have seen 4! Ranging from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds. They are in decent body, act healthy and alert but are all shed off. The 3 yo is still showing red pedicals but the others are all browned and dried. I guess a perfect storm of drought, heat, crazy cold at end of year, mast failure and high density contributed to this event but it's sure enough odd. Anyone still hunting look at the tarsal glands and look close at the head to know what you are shooting.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Already being discussed in thread below:

TheLBLman

We are seeing a lot. Red pedicles on the head. They are highly stressed this year and needing food
In the Stewart Co. areas I'm hunting, interestingly, they do not seem so highly stressed nor needing food. Yet am seeing more early shedding than most years.

One of my largest food plots is normally a good place to kill some late-season does. Hasn't been the case this year. Despite acorns being sparse, the surrounding areas have had thousands of acres clear-cut over the past 3 years. The deer seem to be getting so much food there that they're not doing what they normally do, i.e. travel a few hundred yards to a mile to some big fields. Some are, but the fact it's mostly nocturnal suggests these deer aren't very hungry?

Most years, late season, regardless of acorn crop, I'll see significant numbers of deer in these fields between sundown & dark. But this year, most days, no deer at all during daylight, although a few have just started showing up now in the past few days around dusk.

I'm not sure what all the factors may be contributing to early shedding, but it's been well over a decade since I would describe these particular localized deer herds as being "acorn driven". They seem to be getting enough honeysuckle, blackberry leaves, green briar, and who knows what, that they're not hungry enough to come to these fields & food plots except nocturnally.

In the past week, just driving by some large 1 to 2-yr-old clear cuts, I saw a large number of deer feeding. Yet nearby food plots had few to no deer visiting them during daylight. And the lack of deer does not appear to have much if anything to do with hunting pressure, as there has been weeks of little to none near some of these plots.
What gives?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Continued the hunt this afternoon and saw another 2 yo shed out and a mature buck with one side shed. We were harvesting doe and was surprised to find doe that had not raised a fawn had a good layer of fat but very young deer and does that had raised a fawn were all without fat. If the weather turns off bad we will lose a lot of deer!

BSK

In the Stewart Co. areas I'm hunting, interestingly, they do not seem so highly stressed nor needing food. Yet am seeing more early shedding than most years.

One of my largest food plots is normally a good place to kill some late-season does. Hasn't been the case this year. Despite acorns being sparse, the surrounding areas have had thousands of acres clear-cut over the past 3 years. The deer seem to be getting so much food there that they're not doing what they normally do, i.e. travel a few hundred yards to a mile to some big fields. Some are, but the fact it's mostly nocturnal suggests these deer aren't very hungry?

Most years, late season, regardless of acorn crop, I'll see significant numbers of deer in these fields between sundown & dark. But this year, most days, no deer at all during daylight, although a few have just started showing up now in the past few days around dusk.

I'm not sure what all the factors may be contributing to early shedding, but it's been well over a decade since I would describe these particular localized deer herds as being "acorn driven". They seem to be getting enough honeysuckle, blackberry leaves, green briar, and who knows what, that they're not hungry enough to come to these fields & food plots except nocturnally.

In the past week, just driving by some large 1 to 2-yr-old clear cuts, I saw a large number of deer feeding. Yet nearby food plots had few to no deer visiting them during daylight. And the lack of deer does not appear to have much if anything to do with hunting pressure, as there has been weeks of little to none near some of these plots.
What gives?
I wish I had great answers, but I don't. Sometimes looking at deer and their behavior doesn't give all the answers. It is the biological data that tells the real story, and early antler drop is absolutely a sign of stressed bucks (stressed by any number of factors - not just nutritionally).

But I have observed the exact same thing TheLBLman. Where timber cuts exist in a hardwood environment, deer still aren't pounding the plots like you would expect. Deer are using the plots heavily, but only at night.

Latest posts