Semi Auto Shotgun Advice???

jmb4wd

Been out of the loop for a good while, sold my old 835 last year in hopes of getting into a semi auto.

I turkey hunt a little, looking to start duck hunting a little, and just a general all around good gun.

Ive played around with a 935, and the 3500 Stoeger in stores, but Ive never shouldered an 11-87? Any others to look at in the 5 to 700 range?

The 935 feels like it fits me pretty good, but wanted to hear from yall!

Chaneylake

I love the 11-87, I started with a 1100 in the late 60's or very early 70's, they usually fit the average size person with no problem.

the only down side [imo] is that they are poorly made, I have 2 and about 5 pounds of parts, I can work on one blindfolded

rukiddin

jmb4wd said:
just a general all around good gun.

Ive played around with a 935, and the 3500 Stoeger in stores, but Ive never shouldered an 11-87? Any others to look at in the 5 to 700 range?

Save up about another 300 bucks and you will put yourself into light years above the rest, range of shotguns. Browning Maxus, Quality used Beretta extrema or A400 or even....as bad as it pains me to say it...Benelli (not a fan).
I love my Remingtons, but they are not what they used to be. If I was buying a Remington, it would be older 1100's or mid-late 90's 11-87's. With your budget, either a good used remington or the 390. Not a fan of the rest of the ones you mentioned. I'm around shotguns every weekend and see all kinds put through their paces...Older rems good used beretta's/benelli's or Brownings will out shoot any of the guns mentioned new.

jmb4wd

rem270 said:
I got a stoeger 3500 and like it alot.

I have only read good things about them as well, despite the purist hating on them for being cheap!!

That Beretta 390/391 is a good looking gun as well, I didnt know of it, and going to research it too.

I love that SBE but that price hurts my wallets feelings!! lol

FULLDRAWXX75

I have an 11-87 premiere and a Browning A-5(old Belgium), The Remington is much nicer on the shoulder for sure. Never had a problem with either

I hear good things about Benelli

FDXX75

REN

it really comes down to a few simple questions.

1. Do you want a gas operated semi or an inertia system. The inertia system is MUCH easier to break down and clean however the trade off is higher recoil then a gas operated.

2. Do you prefer an american gun vs imported?

If beat your guns up and are hard on them like me the benelli/stoeger system is very hard to beat, it has very few moving parts and can be broken down and cleaned in seconds.

the 11-87 is a classic and is a very good gun as well so you wont go wrong with that choice either.

FOR THE MONEY IMO the Stoeger M3500 is a beast of a shotgun that can do all you want to do. I have gotten some wicked patterns out of it for turkey hunting and have put it through pure hell duck hunting and it keeps on preforming with no issues.

I WILL have a SBE2 at some point in my life, after using them for years i just have become a very big fan of the benelli system and its simplicity.

jmb4wd

REN said:
it really comes down to a few simple questions.

If beat your guns up and are hard on them like me the benelli/stoeger system is very hard to beat, it has very few moving parts and can be broken down and cleaned in seconds.

FOR THE MONEY IMO the Stoeger M3500 is a beast of a shotgun that can do all you want to do. I have gotten some wicked patterns out of it for turkey hunting and have put it through pure hell duck hunting and it keeps on preforming with no issues.

I WILL have a SBE2 at some point in my life, after using them for years i just have become a very big fan of the benelli system and its simplicity.

Thanks REN, this is along the lines of what ive been think too. I shot by buddies SBE2, and yes it is awesome, but I just cant see it in the budget right now.

Thanks guys

Latest posts