Sell me on why 20ga?

Terrier

I used to hunt with a Mossberg 500 12 ga. but got weary of the kick. Turkey loads were just brutal. The older I get, the less recoil tolerant I am. Changed to a 20 ga barrel for my Encore about 15 years ago and have used it exclusively for turkeys since. Swapped to a Franchi 20 ga semi auto for doves, too.

Got some TSS for the Encore a couple years ago. The only painful part of testing patterns was the cost of the ten shells I used for testing. But, I got over it.

This year was a 40 yard shot. Bang, flop.

Rakkin6

I used to hunt with a Mossberg 500 12 ga. but got weary of the kick. Turkey loads were just brutal. The older I get, the less recoil tolerant I am. Changed to a 20 ga barrel for my Encore about 15 years ago and have used it exclusively for turkeys since. Swapped to a Franchi 20 ga semi auto for doves, too.

Got some TSS for the Encore a couple years ago. The only painful part of testing patterns was the cost of the ten shells I used for testing. But, I got over it.

This year was a 40 yard shot. Bang, flop.
I have the Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug 12 gauge and it only weighs 6.25 pounds and kicks like a mule. But it throws a better pattern than my benelli and 835 with an Indian Creek .660 and #9 TSS. I usually get it patterned with four shots. Two with some light target loads at 15 yards. Then move it out to forty and get it dialed in from there with TSS.

killingtime 41

I know people that turkey hunt with a 410. I hunt with a 12 cause it's what I got. A 20 would do it. They tell me the 410 is where it's at. But have no terminal ballistics. Only know dead is the act of not being alive anymore. And all will do that.

Tennessee Lead

I'll sell one better. Your type of hunting even a 20 is overkill. All you need is a single shot .410 shooting hand loaded 9.5's or 10's.
Ain't never been a lead 12 gauge turkey load that will throw the pattern that comes out of that little shell but of course you're using 2&1/2 ounces 😳
I know you are just having a discussion and are a 12gauge man like myself and I've swore I would never ever leave my 835 at home but I can't tell you what a difference in maneuvering and handling in the woods betwixt the two. I was forced to go the .410 route this season and in the future it's probably going to be my primary.
Not because of recoil but the ease of carrying and maneuvering plus it will do all I need to.
Last Saturday I done 9 miles in very rugged terrain and my shoulder wasn't a bit fatigued from carrying a gun.
My 835 stacked 5 deep it would have been tarred 😬.

knightrider

I'll sell one better. Your type of hunting even a 20 is overkill. All you need is a single shot .410 shooting hand loaded 9.5's or 10's.
Ain't never been a lead 12 gauge turkey load that will throw the pattern that comes out of that little shell but of course you're using 2&1/2 ounces 😳
I know you are just having a discussion and are a 12gauge man like myself and I've swore I would never ever leave my 835 at home but I can't tell you what a difference in maneuvering and handling in the woods betwixt the two. I was forced to go the .410 route this season and in the future it's probably going to be my primary.
Not because of recoil but the ease of carrying and maneuvering plus it will do all I need to.
Last Saturday I done 9 miles in very rugged terrain and my shoulder wasn't a bit fatigued from carrying a gun.
My 835 stacked 5 deep it would have been tarred 😬.
Ok now getting a little deep😂 12 ga longbeard xr 3 in #5 or 6, will smoke my 410 with 9.5's at 40 every day every shot

vinootz

I've considered for years putting together a 20 gauge and just never got around to it, now I've reached the point where I just don't understand the desire.

1. There is no extra credit for hunting with a 20, it's not like a recurve killed deer versus a rifle.
2. My 12 isn't that heavy to tote, and I like the extra weight for fitness reasons.
3. If I miss or potentially wound a bird due to a sub gauge and misjudging yards or just because I'd be furious I didn't have the 12.
4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think
5. Recoil is unnoticed on a 12
Those are just a few of the random thoughts I have rattling around. No judgement to those who do shoot smaller gauges, I just fail to see the point.
If you don't understand the desire no one else will- lol. If you want one buy the damn thing . If you don't then you don't. Years ? If you haven't figured it out in years, all one can assess is you can take years to figure something out. Lol

Latest posts