Select cut again?

RedDawg

I have 70 acres in northern Decatur County that I live and hunt on. About 63 of it is hardwoods. It was select cut 14 years ago just before I bought it. I'm going to be talking to some loggers about maybe select cutting again. The original roads created for the first cut are still on the property and I use them and keep them clear. I'm not a tree expert but I do recognize oaks, hickory and other species. This will be an educational experience for me. I do about 6 acres of food plots each year but I'm looking to open up the canopy and produce better browse throughout. I may be able to talk my neighbor who got the other 66 acres of the original farm (and was select cut 14 years ago as well) into it also.

Is 14 years long enough to select cut it again? When I talk to potential loggers, what questions should I ask? What red flags should I be looking for? Thanks.

BSK

All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is this cut part of a long-term plan to maximize timber value? or is it a wildlife cut - intended to increase natural browse and cover? Or something in between?

I point this out because most foresters only know long-term monetary forestry. They have no concept of wildlife habitat improvement. I make this point because if you want habitat value, but perform a monetary cut, you may be very disappointed, and the cut will prevent you from cutting again for a long number of years afterwards (15-20 years).

First time i cut timber on my place, I used a local forester with a good reputation. However, he knew nothing about forest management for wildlife. To say I was disappointed with the results would be a severe understatement. Haven't used a forester since. Although I'm sure foresters have become a bit more educated on wildlife cuts since then.

bjohnson

All depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is this cut part of a long-term plan to maximize timber value? or is it a wildlife cut - intended to increase natural browse and cover? Or something in between?

I point this out because most foresters only know long-term monetary forestry. They have no concept of wildlife habitat improvement. I make this point because if you want habitat value, but perform a monetary cut, you may be very disappointed, and the cut will prevent you from cutting again for a long number of years afterwards (15-20 years).

First time i cut timber on my place, I used a local forester with a good reputation. However, he knew nothing about forest management for wildlife. To say I was disappointed with the results would be a severe understatement. Haven't used a forester since. Although I'm sure foresters have become a bit more educated on wildlife cuts since then.

This right here! If it's a cut for wildlife then you need a biologist not a forester.

DoubleRidge

Our Forester is a deer hunter, turkey hunter and manages his own acreage for wildlife. I've learned a ton from him and we are still in contact today...Foresters do charge a fee but representation on a job where you are not present daily or where you lack knowledge can pay a good return on your investment. It absolutely did in our case.

Another option is TWRA has Wildlife Habitat Biologists throughout the state whose primary job is to assist landowners with technical assistance with managing their property at no cost.

Both the private land biologist and a good Forester can also assist you with applying for grant money opportunities to do timber stand improvement projects like hack-n-squirt...but seeking some guidance and direction is wise on your part.

Good luck with your project!

DeerCamp

I have 70 acres in northern Decatur County that I live and hunt on. About 63 of it is hardwoods. It was select cut 14 years ago just before I bought it. I'm going to be talking to some loggers about maybe select cutting again. The original roads created for the first cut are still on the property and I use them and keep them clear. I'm not a tree expert but I do recognize oaks, hickory and other species. This will be an educational experience for me. I do about 6 acres of food plots each year but I'm looking to open up the canopy and produce better browse throughout. I may be able to talk my neighbor who got the other 66 acres of the original farm (and was select cut 14 years ago as well) into it also.

Is 14 years long enough to select cut it again? When I talk to potential loggers, what questions should I ask? What red flags should I be looking for? Thanks.
I would reach out to the Tennessee Forestry Division. They will send out one of your local foresters and evaluate your property. They will also make recommendations about how to manage the property and provide you a detailed forestry plan to follow. They did not charge me anything to do this and emailed me the report a week or so later.

It was very enlightening when I had it done. Dr. David Mercker is the one that I met. He even took me to his farm and showed me all of the work he has done.

DeerCamp

1706209708633.png

TNlandowner

This right here! If it's a cut for wildlife then you need a biologist not a forester.
We had a TN State Forester, TN Wildlife Biologist, an Animal Biology student group from UT Martin, and a private Forester give suggestions before our select cut a few years ago. We combined timber stand improvement and wildlife objectives. The Logger offered several times to buy the oaks and poplars, but we were not interested in money during that harvest. We sold mixed hard woods (elm, gum, hickory, maple, etc.) and about 10 acres of 24" - 30" DBH Pine trees.

I have been thrilled with the results.

RedDawg

We had a TN State Forester, TN Wildlife Biologist, an Animal Biology student group from UT Martin, and a private Forester give suggestions before our select cut a few years ago. We combined timber stand improvement and wildlife objectives. The Logger offered several times to buy the oaks and poplars, but we were not interested in money during that harvest. We sold mixed hard woods (elm, gum, hickory, maple, etc.) and about 10 acres of 24" - 30" DBH Pine trees.

I have been thrilled with the results.
Thanks for the ideas.

RedDawg

Good to know. This is why I asked the question. Thanks.

RedDawg

Our Forester is a deer hunter, turkey hunter and manages his own acreage for wildlife. I've learned a ton from him and we are still in contact today...Foresters do charge a fee but representation on a job where you are not present daily or where you lack knowledge can pay a good return on your investment. It absolutely did in our case.

Another option is TWRA has Wildlife Habitat Biologists throughout the state whose primary job is to assist landowners with technical assistance with managing their property at no cost.

Both the private land biologist and a good Forester can also assist you with applying for grant money opportunities to do timber stand improvement projects like hack-n-squirt...but seeking some guidance and direction is wise on your part.

Good luck with your project!
Thanks, yes, this will be educational.

RedDawg

I would reach out to the Tennessee Forestry Division. They will send out one of your local foresters and evaluate your property. They will also make recommendations about how to manage the property and provide you a detailed forestry plan to follow. They did not charge me anything to do this and emailed me the report a week or so later.

It was very enlightening when I had it done. Dr. David Mercker is the one that I met. He even took me to his farm and showed me all of the work he has done.
Thank you, appreciate the guidance.

Latest posts