Persimmon Cuttings

jejeffrries71

Two breeds of native persimmon exist in TN. One fruits early - usually drops right around bow opener - and the other holds fruit all fall, usually still having some fruit into December. THAT is the persimmon I want! Unfortunately, there is no way to look at a tree and tell which is which. The only way to get seed from a late-dropping persimmon is to actually collect fruit from under one of the late-dropping varieties.
I didn't know that until you posted something about it last year. I noticed that the ones that dropped early last year had no fruit this year. The ones that hold their fruit have a lot of persimmons, though they may be a little smaller this year.

A/M/G

One of my BILs grew many, many persimmon seedlings from seed by collecting the fruit, cleaning off the pulp, dipping the seed in hydrogen peroxide, and then putting the seed in the refrigerator for 3 months. Germination rate was very high.
Simply clean the fruit from the seeds and dip in peroxide. What does the hydrogen peroxide do?

JBell

I just bought 30 or so from the internet. I've had success starting chestnuts by stratifying them. Trying persimmons this year. If any of you that have the late bearing trees are willing, I'd like to get on the seeds bandwagon as well. Or willing to wait for next year if you're full this year

Henry

I've read the same. Figured I'd ask here because I know a lot of the folks on the board are pretty crafty with stuff like this.

I wouldn't be afraid of grafting, but I don't have any persimmon trees to graft onto in the location I want to plant some. I've tried planting seeds and I've tried rooting seeds in moist paper towels, neither of which have worked out. I've even tried digging up small saplings & transplanting them but they live a few weeks at best before dying. I'm completely befuddled. Persimmons are kicking my butt!

Yessir of course I will! They'll be another couple months before they're ripe. Please remind me and I'll grab you a sack full. Let me know if they work out & become trees.
Did these ripen? My wife is asking for a sack full...also happy to pay shipping.

Latest posts