seems odd

TheLBLman

Yes, does seem odd.
Hope he gave his "clients" a couple free trips, as sounds like they were just starting to fish, when the guide had to come in to record his catch?

Says he caught it on a spider rig, and sounded like he merely "dipped" the spider rig in the water beside his boat. Didn't say what "lure(s)" were rigged.

Also interesting, the heaviest bass recorded to date in Texas was caught in 1992, twenty years ago.

And it was only a few ounces heavier than this one.
Kinda surprising that Texas was producing fish like this 20 years ago, but none caught larger in 20 years.

Urban_Hunter

Yes, does seem odd.
Hope he gave his "clients" a couple free trips.

Says he caught it on a spider rig, and sounded like he merely "dipped" the spider rig in the water beside his boat. Didn't say what "lure(s)" were rigged.

Also interesting, the heaviest bass recorded to date in Texas was caught in 1992, twenty years ago.

And it was only a few ounces heavier than this one.
Kinda surprising that Texas was producing fish like this 20 years ago, but none caught larger in 20 years.
1992 wasn't 20 years ago…

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Was it a TARP? :)

The story states that the guide was showing his clients the basics at the time he spotted the fish. He should have ignored the fish or, if the clients had enough of the basics already, handed the fishing pole to one of them and told them where to cast.

WTM

Was it a TARP? :)

The story states that the guide was showing his clients the basics at the time he spotted the fish. He should have ignored the fish or, if the clients had enough of the basics already, handed the fishing pole to one of them and told them where to cast.
yeah thats what seems odd. he said usually when he takes clients he fishes so they can watch him how to use livescope for the first 2 or 3 hours.

now if i was the guide, i wouldve told that guy already in the front, see that fish under us? take this rod and flip the a rig on top of its head when i tell you too. record or not that wouldve, cemented him as a great local guide instead of possibly a douche bag.

megalomaniac

One of my buddies who bought a livescope system paid one of the premier crappie guides on Grenada for a day to watch him fish the first few hours out of my friends boat. (well, really, he was using the guide to dial in/ set up the livescope and show him how to use it). Was money well spent in my friends opinion.

They actually became pretty good friends and the guide will call my buddy when the fish are on and tell him the general area to fish and at what depths to look for them.

Sako

in all honesty, when I wanted to learn how to striper fish, I paid several guides to fish with them... they all fished while I did but they handed me the rod if they hooked up... did not bother me at all... The great thing about having a guide take you is you can learn a lot like many have said.

bluball

to pay a guide to watch him fish.

When i go with a guide im just trying to learn or refine a technique.I use to go and think it was all about catching and enjoying a day fishing.You can learn alot fishing with different people,everyone has there own way.

bluball

in all honesty, when I wanted to learn how to striper fish, I paid several guides to fish with them... they all fished while I did but they handed me the rod if they hooked up... did not bother me at all... The great thing about having a guide take you is you can learn a lot like many have said.
Me and a buddy booked a trip with brandon fulgram in miss,grenada crappie fishing.It was a tough time of the yr and he split me and my buddy up,i fished with one of his friends.He tried to hand me the pole a couple times when he hooked a crappie.I wouldnt take the pole,told him you caught it dont give the pole to me,lol.

Last edited:

WTM

I'll get @gasman the Livescope'n pro show me how to snipe fish with it. Also i hope they keep promoting big bass everywhere except Chickamauga. I wished they start promoting Chickamauga as the most overrated and pathetic fishery in the country. Send all them boys and boats west.
pretty much will happen someday. you only get about 15-20 years of good production before it starts declining whether from reproduction or they flat out get educated.

Latest posts