seeds

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Had a friend bring me some huge jalapenos to work.I am filling with cheese and wrapping with bacon and cooking on the grill.what's the best way to preserve some seeds for next spring

AT Hiker

Id say a month if inside and couple weeks if you leave them outside. You could argue there is no stead fast rule, mold and or sprouting would be my biggest concern versus getting them to dry.

Think about how dry seeds are in a package and using feel determine if they are dry enough.

Think about nature too, seeds lay dormant on and under soil for a long time. Sure they can loose germination rates but in the grand scheme they are designed to reproduce and be tough to handle the elements. Its hard the screw them all up basically.

My other concern would be if the seeds are sterile, I have been out of the Ag field for a few years so Im not sure if some jalapeño plants today produce sterile seeds or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

I just thought of something else, dont expect to get the same exact pepper if its a hybrid. It may or may not turn out the way you think, its almost impossible to predict.

The way I have saved pepper plants in the past has been to allow a couple whole peppers to stay on the vine and dry naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk