Sebastien Inlet, Florida

Tubakka

These are some snook [and one red 37"...got a 50" but I can't find the pic. I think biglures has it somewhere] I got the last 2 trips to sebastien inlet while I was in Florida. Incredible fishery. Nothing like incoming tide, 1 am on the catwalk, you and 3 laotians running back and forth over and around each other trying to keep your fish off the fender. Dem snook eez smawt. I hope to go down this summer when the big females are in. My buddy Rodney had 2 he couldn't turn the other night, and has taken fish down there to 50", on artificials. these were caught on big bucktails thrown into the current and presented just ticking the bottom. Takes a little practice but once you get it, and the fish are there, it's so much fun.

Picture10.png

Picture11.png

Picture12.png

Picture17.png

Picture14.png

....apparently Rodney says the same approach works for the stripers up here below the dams...to the tune of 20 fish days between 20-40 pounds, and his biggest is 55 pounds. I think that was at Loudon though, but he's done well at Cordell and Melton. I hope to find out first hand real soon...

Tubakka

The snook btw, ran between 38-42". WAY too big for the slot. There were a few guys down there that were MASTERS at nailing that slot. I got one one time that was 27 1/2" no matter how hard I pinched the tail...28-32"...

And just to make it clear, Spoonplugging helped me catch these fish. But I didn't use spoonplugs. It was the knowledge and the application of the right tackle.

Tubakka

I'm sorry, I know this is a Tn fishing forum, but I thought some people might enjoy seeing this. Seriously if you're ever down in Florida, check out sebastien inlet. I'll be happy to give you any info, but I can tell you...you better go after dark.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
My parnets live in Sebastian.Too many people fish the inlet already.Quit trying to LURE more down there.
I like the inlet but hate the crowds that show up sometimes.
I've become a RiverRat the last few years running the river and fishing around the islands.
I usally plan my trip in Jan or Dec then in the Spring.
Thanks for posting .

A

Anonymous

Can't tell you how many snook I've caught in and around that inlet. Spent a lot of my youth between that inlet and Fort Pierce inlet. One of the best fish you will ever eat. Sure do miss saltwater fishin sometimes.

stillinscrubs

Corey,
Those are some really solid snook. They are a lot of fun to catch on bucktails as you described have done it many times myself. I am sure glad that the state of florida has a slot limit on both the reds and the snook so that lots of people can enjoy catching them many times.

I used to run around with some people who were good friends with one of the biologists in the snook program down there. They have a very intensive research project to manage the population. They consistently harvest around 100% of the allowable fish in the fishery each year (from what I recall), meaning just enough legal fish make it through the harvest period alive to reach good spawning size like the fish you were catching. People still get to enjoy cathing snook throughout the year especially during the spawn when they are easier to target and can be caught in huge numbers.

Lots of people get to eat snook and the population remains healthy. The snook population had a lot of issues in the past when people could kill all the large fish.

Did you get offshore at all?

I find the carbon disk drag comments funny for freshwater fish in your other thread. I don't think any freashwater fish need a great drag system....

These fish need carbon disk drags......
Scrubs
IMGP0664.jpg

mike243

cool pic's ,i lived in melborne for 2 years back in the 70's,fished the inlet every chance i could,spent many a weekend fishing off the jetty & getting eat up by the seemenots :) ,went back fishing in the early 80's & could'nt beleive how much it had changed,i go to the west coast of fla as the fishing is normaly better,need to make it back down there & walk that bridge in the dark & see if its still as scary :) ,mike243

Tubakka

Scrubs,
Good to have you back man. I mean it...yeah, it was a new experience for me. It took me a couple trips, and then it finally clicked. I had to fork out for a new rod, which for me at the time was a big deal...but I managed to get it off of Rodney at a much reduced price. A big 'ol Fenwick inshore 8'6"...and a matching Abu Garcia 706. The selling point was the fact that I could use it for rockfish below the dams up here when they run. I look forward to that. Rodney compares them to reds...strong but kinda stupid. It was great because any time you hooked a snook off the catwalk you KNEW it was a snook because it would run straight for the fender ...reminds me of Jaws..."...this is a smart fish chief...a very smart fish...".

I was too preoccupied with other things to really do much fishing until about a month before I left. I look forward to going back though, and would like to go fish Pierce as well. Apparently...there are some nice snook to be had below the bridges in the keys too...but first off, I want to get some big rockfish up here.

Scrubs, I was talking about the carbon matrix drag in relation to catching a rockfish, which is technically an anadromous saltwater fish, stocked as a landlocked sport fishery. So I'll give you half a point.

I'd argue that there is another freshwater fish that requires a carbon matrix drag....large paddlefish. It's a shame they're so easily depleted. Unlike alot of folks, I think snagging for specific species IS sporting, when regulated. And a great way to create a fishery out of undesirables too. I use to snag TONS of bigheads in Illinois on my lunch break in college and knife them just to watch them swim off to their death. Fight like hell though...and the whole hooking them in the back or tail makes it all the more epic. The few paddlefish I've been able to snag which weren't monumental, maybe up to 30 pounds, were terrific fighters. I'd dare say a full grown 80-100 pounder hooked in the tail would be a terrific fight. They clear the water too, which is spectacular.

Mike,
yeah I'm not going to lie, I've been out there a couple weeknight evenings, when I'm the only guy on the north jetty. I wasn't as creeped out by it until Rodney told me about the rogue wave that hit it one time in the middle of the night a few years back and washed some people off and sent alot of people to the hospital. NO fatalities, but not for lack of trying. I did get to see an unscheduled shuttle launch off the pier at night back in April. That was tight.

No, Scrubs, I didn't get to go out deep sea. I'd love to do it for hte fight, but to be honest...when someone has to drive the boat, take me to the spot, and all that, I kinda lose a piece of myself. Also, I think the FIGHT in offshore is fantastic and I'd love to hook up with a big billfish, but alot of the species it just kinda seems like...you go to the wreck, and if they're there, you get them, you know? Tons of fun I bet, but not a whole lot of brains past just knowing where to go. I may be TOTALLY wrong, but that's the impression I get. I think billfish might be a bit different but for most, basically presentation seems to be drop it down there and wait. I can't wait for the tarpon to run in the winter. I'm definitely going back down for that. I think Rodney said his biggest at Sebastien was 155 pounds, but he says he's jumped ones way bigger that he could do little with and just cut the line so he didn't lose 50 dollars in microfuse to a fish he had no chance with.

Beautiful yellowfin btw. Good eatin'...

This post has already run pretty long, as always, but you were talking about the regs. Rodney has fished the inlet since the 50's and frankly probably knows it better than anyone, or just as well. he's modest, but I've seen the writeups about him in the Miami Herald and Orlando Sentinel as well as Inshore Angler and a couple other saltwater mags...his take on alot of what has happened to these regs, I respect, and makes sense. Alot of these fish, he says, have no been depleted by the anglers, so much, but by the predators that are protected from angling, namely the jewfish. I talked to a gentleman who snorkels the inlet on dead tide in the summer, and says there are at least 20 jewfish under the north jetty all over a 100 pounds and some nearing 3-400. They eat snook and reds, and in fact, rather often fish retrieved to the jetty awaiting a drop net will get slurped up, or if released carelessly from the jetty and in momentary shock, will get eaten in that state before they can react. I'm not saying we clean out the jewfish, but I think it is a bit foolish for a fish to be completely protected against harvest when it has virtually no other natural predators besides humans, and remains indefinitely and completely protected by regulations put into affect decades ago due to SPEAR fishing harvest, not rod and reel. It makes sense to me that a concentrated population of giant jewfish at a crucial intercept point like an inlet where snook and reds enter and leave the river and the ocean, could greatly affect the population if left unchecked. Lets face it, they're way better at what they do than we are, and it takes alot of meat to feed a 300 pound grouper. And last time I checked the slot limit doesn't apply to them. I may be wrong, but it made alot of sense to me.

stillinscrubs

Yeah I think you miss the point. Carbon fiber drags are great for fish that can pull off a ton of drag quickly and not just tire themselves out by runnning around, it is not the size of the fish but its power. Even inshore snook don't have the power needed for high end drags.....they are nice when turning them away from structure but not needed. Ask the Cubans who catch them with coffee cans and some string. The carbon fiber drags don't have the same thermal breakdown issues as other drags and can be replaced easily and cheaply when they do eventually breakdown as when used for larger pelagics. No freshwater fish have that, maybe 10 foot sturgeon on the Columbia.....but I haven't fished for them. I know what you were referring to Corey, stripes don't fight worth a turd in freshwater. Better in salt, but not by much....bluefish of the same size are much better. Try a party boat in New Jersey for that....in the fall good stuff.

As for offshore fishing being easy. If you hire a guide and they hook the fish and you hold it up for a picture, or they bait the hook and you hold it up for a picture. Could be said that isn't really fishing but reeling. Same for in freshwater.....catfish come to mind.

Go out on a party boat out of south florida or better the Keys in winter and see if skill is not involved. After you get owned a few times you'll change your tune. Try the Yankee Captains out of Key West, I highly encourage you to try this...it will be humbling for you. Look at the website to see what I mean or search on floridasportsman for threads about the trips. Get on the boat and spout off you line of BS before you even start fishing. At least you'll get a few laughs. Heck just show up with your snook rod and reel.....that should catch anything.....

Here is the link, don't want to make you work too hard. http://www.yankeecapts.com/ Go to the links section and click on reports on the right......

Ignorance is bliss......

The jewfish were almost wiped out by meat hogs and guys like you who like to hold up big fish (I think I remember a muskie you killed for no good reason) and still are afforded major protection. That should change with time, but they will need good management since they are vulnerable to overharvest.

You are the Mark the shark of Tennessee. Go to floridasportsman.com and find out who he is....

Tubakka

Wow, guess I was wrong. Same ol' condescending scrubs.

The trips I was talking about where the ones you were referring to, where the take you out hook the fish, hold it up etc...didn't know there was any other KIND of offshore.

About the power of a large rockfish, not the kind I hooked...why don't you talk to Fred McClintock sometime? Ask him about a few of his "one-that-got-away" stories. Because we all know you routinely pull giant fish out of Tennessee.

I harvested a musky and ate it. One. It tasted good. Not going to lie. I've only kept two ever. Out of 50-60 caught. That day we floated a small section of river and saw over 20 fish between 30"-46" or so. In a creek no more than 8 feet deep. Sound like a balance of fish to you? There is WAY too much poaching going on there, and I hear that the fish are being shot in the summertime, which needs to be taken care of, but seriously...that fishery has endured and thrived in WAY more than what little ol' me did on one occasion. I ain't da devil, and I did use the fish. it didn't go to waste. That's not bad, and the only time I'll do it again is if I get one over 52". Or I go back to a lake in Illinois where they're stocking farm ponds with more fish than the entire state of Tennessee then I might harvest a few.

...they were almost wiped out due to no regulation, and not by rod and reel anglers, by guys with spear guns. I never said wipe them. You're a very black-and-white kinda guy. Just because a few fish are taken doesn't mean its' evil. In this case it would be beneficial.

Speaking of which I released a 27" brown today on the Caney...and I have the video to prove it. Beautiful male. But nowhere near what I want.

I release most of my browns now, but if they fall in that 22-23" slot...they're going on the grill. Sorry. Perfect size. Any bigger, too much, any smaller, not enough.

Tubakka

I was told spear fishing is what did most of it. But as we all know that was a different time. It was foolish and lacked foresight, but it shifted the pendulum the entirely opposite way, to where now we have people like you who think that taking fish especially from fisheries where they're stocked 40,000+ a year, is some kind of destructive and outright cro magnon practice, which is absurd, and now...well, hell Scrubs, look at those fish. How much do you think each one of them could eat in a day? And they don't discriminate. If snook and reds are there, they're going to eat snook and reds. I'm not saying that we should wipe them out at all, but a fish that large completely protected from any kind of harvest management, could get out of hand, and apparently at some of the inlets, it has.

stillinscrubs said:
\
The jewfish were almost wiped out by meat hogs and guys like you who like to hold up big fish...

IMGP0664.jpg
[/quote]

...guys like...WHO?

LA man

thats some great snook. thanks for sharing. i just got back from louisiana where 3 of us caught our 75 trout in 1 hour, then we went after redfish and found them also

Tubakka

I've wanted to go down and fish them there. Sounds like fu. Althugh I hear the biggest reds on in the Carolinas.

A

Anonymous

stillinscrubs said:
happyfamily.jpg

http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341 ... 970c-500wi

Rod and reel in one day. One from 1957 anf the second from 1958. Same family. You think they used all that meat?
This is just the first low hanging fruit to pop up on the google search.

They were caught on rod and reel.
That's a lot of meat as well as a lot of money right there. I used to sell jewfish back in the days. Plenty of them out there. In some waters, they are as bad as sharks and cudas.