Haulover Inlet

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I guess people familiar with the area will know about this but I had never heard of it.
If you want some good shows go to youtube and search the haulover inlet.
Here I thought a boat ramp on KY lake was good viewing.
Wow is about all I can say.

batten_down

Funny you mention that; I've been (passively) watching them for the last month or two. If I'm cleaning house, or just busy around the house in general, I'll start those on YouTube on auto-play and let em go. They are addicting. It's fun watching the guys with more money than sense attempt it. What happens is you'll get a very strong outgoing tide and an onshore breeze and it turns the inlet into a mess. It is cool to see what boats struggle and which boats handle it with not much problem. The scenery isn't bad either. 👍🏻

gtk

Staff member
That channel is just more proof that nature no longer weeds out the weakest/dumbest of the human race. Some of those folks have NO business driving a boat. I cringe when I see the kids riding up front, trying to hold on while dad hits those waves.

Pilchard

I nearly lost a very good friend and commercial fisherman in that inlet. He was coming back in with a full load of kingfish in the bow and stuffed a wave. Scary stuff.

What is interesting is that a very light east wind butting up against a strong tide can turn the inlet to a washing machine. The ocean can be calm enough for a flats boat to be on the edge fishing for sailfish, tuna, dolphin and the pass can be a mess at the same time.

scn

Three years ago I made a trip with some friends down to Jupiter, Fl. We had a couple of charter days booked, and, a close friend brought his 20+ old Ranger bay boat as well. The afternoon before our charters, we decided to run offshore a little to try to find some albies.

The trip out was OK. The fishing was slow with only a couple caught. On the way back in, my friend decided to let his college age son run the boat. When we got to the Jupiter Inlet, we had a strong outgoing tide, and some big waves stacked up. I was uneasy, but...

He did OK until he mistimed a wave. I remember seeing a wall of green water coming over the bow when he stuffed it. Fortunately, we didn't have another one, and the bilge pumps worked well. Had a wet azz and some wet tackle, but made it back to the ramp to start the drying out process back at the house.

It certainly got my attention about inlets.

Pilchard

Jupiter can be a wild one as well. It's especially fun since the shore fisherman don't like you to be too close to the jetty while they are fishing. They seem to forget that the pass is there for vessel navigation first and foremost.

the one good thing about Jupiter is that it's wide enough that you can usually hug one side or the other and find consistent water, even if it's rough.

Chickenrig

Three years ago I made a trip with some friends down to Jupiter, Fl. We had a couple of charter days booked, and, a close friend brought his 20+ old Ranger bay boat as well. The afternoon before our charters, we decided to run offshore a little to try to find some albies.

The trip out was OK. The fishing was slow with only a couple caught. On the way back in, my friend decided to let his college age son run the boat. When we got to the Jupiter Inlet, we had a strong outgoing tide, and some big waves stacked up. I was uneasy, but...

He did OK until he mistimed a wave. I remember seeing a wall of green water coming over the bow when he stuffed it. Fortunately, we didn't have another one, and the bilge pumps worked well. Had a wet azz and some wet tackle, but made it back to the ramp to start the drying out process back at the house.

It certainly got my attention about inlets.
I fished out of Jupiter for 30 yrs and had some close calls to say the least , i've seen 60' sportfish boats make contact with the bottom while coming off a roller , weekend warriors going half way out only to TRY to turn around and loose it just out front ,and the list goes on !!
The best way to approach those inlets on bad days is to sit and watch the wave patterns . Count them and see when the lull hits then using great finesse slide on in .
One thing for sure is .... you can't fix stupid , always have enough fuel on board to run north or south to the wider deeper inlets .
Thanks for sharing

cbhunter

This guys video equipment leaves a lot to be desired but I would wager that there are some fatalities in some of these disasters. Unreal!
No more video suggestions Ruger or i'm gonna get fired for lack of productivity!

SES

I've been watching the Haulover Inlet guy's YouTube channel for a long time. It ceases to amaze me how stupid a lot of rich people are.

NumberOne

Reminds me of trying to go through the bridge at danville with a 15mph north wind and 200k of current coming from the South.

Latest posts