Scratch box chalk holder

Iglow

It was always worrisome what to do with the chalk on my little caller so this is what came to mind, pcs of cane flattened and glued on the bottom. It don't look like much but it don't affect the sound that I can tell. I'm gonna go get a cork to keep the chalk in it. It would probably work on a box call too if you put it on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 6

Iglow

I never thought of that, that's a. Great idea I'll have to try that on mine!
Seems to work, I had to thin the chalk some , shoulda thought to get a pcs of cane big enough. Little scratch box is my #1 caller. I ended up just whittling a pcs of red cedar for a stopper. Spar varnish finish is dry on it now, I'll post some pics of it finished tomorrow.

Soft Talker

I chalk mine one time before I leave the truck. Runs clean all day and into the next, without having to re chalk.

ROVERBOY

Did you make that box? I made some a few years ago. Cedar and walnut is all I ever made them from.

Iglow

Did you make that box? I made some a few years ago. Cedar and walnut is all I ever made them from.
Yea, I made it from some board wood I got off a pallet here at work, I don't know what kind of wood it is.🤷‍♂️ If anybody does please say. We made some from cedar and poplar too. Sometimes we get pallets that have cherry boards and walnut every now and then.

ROVERBOY

We get pallets at my work that have boards on bottom , that are 3"x 3" and came from Korea. It's a dark colored wood. I looked it up and think it may be Teak.

Last edited:

Iglow

The wood in that one is kinda medium soft, has"voids" in the growth rings like oak and easy to work. I guess everything goes in skids, I was thinking maybe it is sassafras or something odd, it isn't hickory, oak, poplar, hackberry,cedar,pine or cherry.

ROVERBOY

I think I made 3 out of Cedar. One or two from poplar, and one with a walnut back and poplar front. They all sound decent.Gave a few away.

Latest posts