Scouts First Deer!

tellico4x4

IMG_20230930_200202.jpg

Young man hit doe high right, angled down & exited left side with guts plugging hole. 8 deer in plot when he shot but he knew where his exited into cutover. Scout lined it right out and went straight to it about 100 yards, only found one small drop of blood. Terribly hot, dry & dusty but she did great!
IMG_20230930_184010204.jpg

Very proud of this 9 month old Mtn cur that I got from @OldFussNFeathers. I just picked her up from trainer a week ago yesterday, so getting her on one right after her month with him was a huge deal. Look forward to seeing her mature.

tellico4x4

A shout out for Justin Branch at Big Black River Kennels in Kosiusko, MS. He had Scout for month of Aug and trained her using interdigital glands so that she'd stay on a specific deer. Never really thought about it but worked great yesterday. With 8 deer in a 1/4 acre plot, they scattered every direction when the doe was shot. When Scout got lined out on the right one, she never waivered on any of the others.

He gave me a log of the 24 tracks he did with her. Each one was progressively longer than previous. Started out at 45 yards, he had to assist her on the first 2, the 3rd she completed by herself, 4th he assisted, then the next 20 she did on her own. The final track was a night one she successfully did at 652 yards!

Latest posts