Scouting for turkey question

philsanchez76

Got drawn for chuck swan for April 8th hunt. I will be out that way for work next week and want to go scout it then cuz I likely won't have time to take another dedicated drive out there until the hunt. Question is: will my scouting prove worth it being that it's 2+ months before my hunt? Will those birds be in those spots? Or do they shift enough that my intel will be too old? Newb turkey hunter so looking for advice from the more experience. Thx y'all.

megalomaniac

Scouting now will be worthless as far as locating birds 2 months from now. Scouting ahead of time to pick out good terrain, access points,, and likely turkey habitat could be helpful. But to me it seems birds are where you find them...

philsanchez76

Scouting now will be worthless as far as locating birds 2 months from now. Scouting ahead of time to pick out good terrain, access points,, and likely turkey habitat could be helpful. But to me it seems birds are where you find them...
Great point on scouting terrain and access.

Safari Hunt

Good question as I'm about to start for me and my grandson. He qualifies for the youth hunt. Then we will hunt together for as much time as possible. His spring break is before the season which cuts down the time we could hunt.:(

Remington700

You will basically just be learning the lay of the land. This will help you when you go to an area you like and hear one gobble on the hunt. In the places I hunt turkeys are rarely there in the winter and always there in the spring.

philsanchez76

Thx for the replies y'all. Your answers bring up a follow up question: What habitat do y'all look for when scouting for turkey? Hardwood ridges connecting to fields? Are they drawn to edges similarly to deer?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
From what I've heard about Chuck Swan, you want to know the lay of the land where you can get further in, away from other hunters. You might get a good, more easily accessible spot the day of the hunt, but you want a backup option in case someone beats you there (likely, since you're driving from far). Someone flashes their headlamp at you in the dark, you want to know how far past them you need to walk, and how to get there.

woodsman04

Thx for the replies y'all. Your answers bring up a follow up question: What habitat do y'all look for when scouting for turkey? Hardwood ridges connecting to fields? Are they drawn to edges similarly to deer?
I believe learning the lay of the land is the most important part in turkey hunting and calling up a turkey and shooting him.

You can never tell where turkeys will be, but usually they don't like anything real thick say that would be deer bedding, (other than nesting hens.)
Generally they like open hardwoods ridges, ridgetops, creek bottoms, foodplots, cow pastures, and fresh clear cuts. Don't look over fresh burns either.

Not always, but they like to roost on ridge sides that are beside of or over a creek or river. I don't know why, but they do.

They also like to gobble and strut on the tops of open hardwood ridges. If you are in any mountains , look for benches.

catman529

I believe learning the lay of the land is the most important part in turkey hunting and calling up a turkey and shooting him.

You can never tell where turkeys will be, but usually they don't like anything real thick say that would be deer bedding, (other than nesting hens.)
Generally they like open hardwoods ridges, ridgetops, creek bottoms, foodplots, cow pastures, and fresh clear cuts. Don't look over fresh burns either.

Not always, but they like to roost on ridge sides that are beside of or over a creek or river. I don't know why, but they do.

They also like to gobble and strut on the tops of open hardwood ridges. If you are in any mountains , look for benches.
Emphasis on creeks or any water source... they do have a fondness for roosting near or even over the water. If you have a creek bluff, they'll often roost on a point where the bluff drops down toward the creek. They like to roost on points in ridge country whether there's water or not. And pay attention to fields in the creek bottom. They'll often fly over the creek down into the field when they come off roost. And work their way back up across the creek later in the day.

Korben

I got drawn for chuck swan too. Gotta be out of there by one hunting. Are you allowed back in the evening to scout? Planning on going a few days before my hunt to scout as well.

deerfever

In the past you have been allowed back in to scout after you sign out. You must sign in of the morning then go and sign out at the checking station after the hunt ends at noon. With that being said last year you neither signed in or out due to Covid. I do not know what they will do this year.

timberjack86

It's never too early, if a place holds turkeys now there should be gobbling birds within hearing distance opening morning. The sign you find now will be from winter flocks. By opening day the birds will be busted up and spread out. I really focus on the lay of the land and look some for scratching and tracks just to prove turkeys use the area. That's all I need for a starting point opening morning. If I have time I start listening 2 weekends prior to opening day for birds on the roost.

Latest posts