Score?

Kyboy

IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1381.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg

What would y'alls guestimate be on this deer? Its on a farm me and a friend hunt, he says its 155 I was thinking 135. Just need to settle a debate

Kyboy

I think with the tall brows he'll go 135-138" out of velvet.

That 8 pt laying down isn't no slouch either. He has great mass.
The 8 laying down is on the no shoot list, hes young and has the potential to be a really good one next year.

Kyboy

I'd say you're spot on with 135". But I had to punch some numbers because at a glance he sure looks like he should score higher. Really nice buck!
First time I saw him in person I said well theres a 160, after a better look with binos I saw other wise. His frame is bigger than what it looks like in traillcameras.

rem270

The 8 laying down is on the no shoot list, hes young and has the potential to be a really good one next year.
Agreed. Reminds me of an 8 I had on cam for 3 years. Had great mass from the start as a young deer and just kept growing. He was only 15.5'' when he was killed and ended up being a 142'' 8. My dad killed it in 2021.

Ski

First time I saw him in person I said well theres a 160, after a better look with binos I saw other wise. His frame is bigger than what it looks like in traillcameras.

Funny you say that. Here's a buck that looks quite similar that scored dang near 160". I scored him again after drying all winter and he still hit 158". I think in order to settle the dispute with your buddy, one of you are gona have to put that buck down.

Your buck looks bigger than 135" and I believe it probably is. When I roughed the score in my head using average measurements of most deer I kill, I gave him 85" length, 28" mass, and 17" spread for an even 130". That said, it's about what I had the buck below at as well until I shot him. Trail cameras can be deceiving, especially at night and even worse in velvet. Body size also greatly influences what the rack looks like and trail cameras don't show that.

1692795660539.jpeg

1692795711653.jpeg

Kyboy

IMG_1411.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg

Here is a couple of bino pics of him. This was when I thought dang thats a big deer. He is for sure mature. Just an FYI this is all in KY and with the one buck tag limit makes me be pretty selective, i have a wall full of 130s/140s my goal is to break 150 this year.

Ski

i have a wall full of 130s/140s my goal is to break 150 this year.

I completely understand that. Only way to do it is by not shooting anything smaller. And even though I think that buck would be close, it would still be a gamble. Good thing is he appears to be 4yrs old so he's got a couple more years to get bigger if he survives. And the season is just now creeping up on us and you've got plenty time to find a 150+ bruiser. Heck, the buck I showed had a wide 10pt frame in 2018 and I didn't kill him until 2022, so it can and does happen. Don't be afraid to let them walk and don't be discouraged if they disappear or you don't fill a tag for a year or two. Come down to TN and shoot a couple nice ones to keep your spirits up!

Kyboy

I completely understand that. Only way to do it is by not shooting anything smaller. And even though I think that buck would be close, it would still be a gamble. Good thing is he appears to be 4yrs old so he's got a couple more years to get bigger if he survives. And the season is just now creeping up on us and you've got plenty time to find a 150+ bruiser. Heck, the buck I showed had a wide 10pt frame in 2018 and I didn't kill him until 2022, so it can and does happen. Don't be afraid to let them walk and don't be discouraged if they disappear or you don't fill a tag for a year or two. Come down to TN and shoot a couple nice ones to keep your spirits up!
Yeah I am not worried about eating tag soup, I get too much enjoyment out of hunting. I wish I had a place in TN to go, I used to but lost the farm due to a new subdivision going in. Used to go to Campbell alot but now all the decent spots get taken up. May make a trip to IL or something if time permits

Ski

Yeah I am not worried about eating tag soup, I get too much enjoyment out of hunting. I wish I had a place in TN to go, I used to but lost the farm due to a new subdivision going in. Used to go to Campbell alot but now all the decent spots get taken up. May make a trip to IL or something if time permits

OH, IN, and IL have OTC tags. I wouldn't dismiss the edge of WV that borders the Ohio River, either. They all have the same deer.