Scopes

Deer Whisperer

Buy a Meopta Meostar instead. It's a much better scope. They supply a lot of glass to Swarovski. Read as much on them as you can. Also, read the rewiews about them on Cabelas.com.

I have two of the 3-12X56 scopes, and a pair of 10X42 binoculars.

4onaside

JohnDeer said:
Buy a Meopta Meostar instead. It's a much better scope. They supply a lot of glass to Swarovski. Read as much on them as you can. Also, read the rewiews about them on Cabelas.com.

Without me having to do the research, what do scopes like your's cost?

LCU

golfpro said:
Looking at buying either Leopold VX-III, or a Nikon Monarch any suggestions?

I'm a Leupold fan and have a VX-III.
IMO it's a great scope and a great vlaue.

Others will talk of other brands, that I am not familiar with.
They may be as good or better.

All I know is I like my VX-III more than any other scope I have owned.

The Nikon Omega scope on my ML has poor glass. I am spoiled to Leupold.

I carry Swarovski binos, but for scopes the VX-III is the right scope for my hunting.

Model70Man

For the same money as a VX-III you can get a Zeiss Conquest or a Meopta Meostar and get much better glass than what Leupold has to offer.

Leupold quality has gone by the wayside the past 2 years as I have been reading more and more people having issues with their Leupolds on other forums. You used to never hear or read about any problems on the forums and now it's a main weekly topic on many of the optics forums.

LCU

If I ever have a problem, I'll ship it back and keep getting new scopes. They do this because problems are rare. Very rare.

Model70Man

LCU said:
If I ever have a problem, I'll ship it back and keep getting new scopes. They do this because problems are rare. Very rare.

Zeiss, Burris, Meopta , Bushnell and numerous other optics manufacturers offer the same warranty. It's not like you are getting anything more with Leupolds warranty compared to any other optics manufacturer.

LCU

I buy american made if it's the best scope for the money. If not don't buy it. Why buy less because an product made in America can't match up?
I say competition is good.

JimFromTN

The Monarch and the VXIII are so close that you would need to make a side to side comparison and even then you may not see much of a difference. The Monarch may be a touch brighter. I would give it to the Monarch because it is almost $200 cheaper. You can get the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 for around $300 on ebay. You won't find a better scope for the price.

FULLDRAWXX75

I have 3 Leupold's, 2 Nikon's, 2 T/C , 1 Charles Daly & a Tasco

O, and one Burris that that is the biggest piece of junk I have ever placed on a gun. There warranty sucks and their customer service is by far the worst I have ever had to deal with. I bought the scope brand new, 1.5x4 power for my .357 mag. I blew the crosshairs out of it, sent it back and had to wait 2 month for the repair. Got it back, 12 shots later............yep, crosshairs messed up again. Sent it back again, (at my own expense by the way) I waited 2 more months, got it back with a letter this time..........if it happens again the scope will not be repair or replaced. WTF??? I never put it back on the gun and I can't see selling it to some poor soul just to ditch it.

I have a straight 2x mounted on a Deerslayer shotgun, mounted it in 1981 I have shot the heck out of that gun and never once had to adjust it. You can't go wrong with Leupold.

I have really never had many problems with any of my scopes with the exception of the Burris.

FDXX75

stik

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
I have 3 Leupold's, 2 Nikon's, 2 T/C , 1 Charles Daly & a Tasco

There warranty sucks and their customer service is by far the worst I have ever had to deal with.

obviously you have never dealt with nikon customer service. i love the nikons but will NEVER buy another. nothing but leupold for me.

Efhutton

I do believe LCU is a leupold man! I have a couple of Leupolds and like em for more reasons than one. Made in America is a good one. When choosing a scope there is alot more to consider than just looking thru the glass in my opinion. Also have a couple of Burris scopes that are great scopes.

Deer Whisperer

4onaside said:
JohnDeer said:

Without me having to do the research, what do scopes like your's cost?

The 3-12X56 cost $789 at Cabelas, which is within range of what a comparable VX-III cost. If you were to ever compare the two scopes at dusk, you would forget about the VX-III.

LCU

Can't beat a Leupold VX-III in it's pricerange.
Other brands look good for a few years, but the Leupold holds up in real hunting conditions well.
Look for reviews by hunters and you will find what Leupold has given them for years.

LCU

Check with outfitters in Africa Plains Game. Most use Leupold scopes,and Swarovski binos. I learned that a few years ago.

Latest posts