Scope Suggestions

JimFromTN

I have had good luck with the banner and the legend and I have heard nothing but good things about the elite 3200 and 4200. Bushnell is probably the best low end scope for the money.

From a power standpoint, 2x7x32 should be good enough. It is actually used by allot of guides out west and is a highly recommended configuration. Power range comes down to personal preference. I definately would not go over 3x for the low end. The legend has great glass and is very durable for its price range. My personal preference for muzzleloaders are scopes with a low end power range for fast target aquisition in low light. I hunt hard woods where you can't see your iron sights until 20 minutes after shooting light and the average shot is around 50yds so I have a 1.5-6x50 on my TC Omega. The only time I crank the power over 1.5 is at the range.

LCU

I bought a TC Omega from a forum member last week.
It has the Nikon Omega scope with the BDC retical.

The optics are not as good as my other Leupold scopes,but the BDC retical is a cool system with the circles set at different distances if you use the correct combo of bullet and powder.

Check it out.

LCU

For the TC Omega, I could not pass up the Nikon scope made for it. A scope made for muzzleloaders.

If Leupold offered the same system, I would buy it.
Leupold optics are so much better, it's a noticable difference.

If the Nikon works as advertised, it will be a good decision IMO.

megalomaniac

How in the world do you guys shoot with the crazy circles in the 'bdc' reticle? That's gotta be the worst reticle ever created. I guess it's fine if all you're worried about is hitting a deer's vitals, but I need a little more precision than wide open circles on a reticle.

JimFromTN

Leupold is like any other manufacturer. The more money you spend, the better the glass. The vx1 and the rifleman are leupold's bottom of the line scopes. You would probably need to do a side by side comparison to really know. I can't say for sure but I would rate the nikon somehwere between the vxI and the vxII.

Layne

I just ordered the leupold ultimateslam 2-7x33 for my ProHunter. I like the leupold over the Nikon with basically the same system but I believe they are a little better in low light. You can also select your load combination with the leupold scope.
I believe the eye relief is a little less on the leupold somewhere around 4'' compared to the 5'' on the Omega.

LCU

Thunderroost said:
LCU said:
If Leupold offered the same system, I would buy it.
Leupold optics are so much better, it's a noticable difference.

Leupold does offer the same system....

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... imateslam/

Thanks for the link. I never thought to check,and just bought this TC Omega with the Nikon scope on it used from a forum member.
It should work well enough this year, but if the gun is better than the scope, I will uprade to te Leupold.
Probebly other good scope mfg's,but i have had good results with the Leupolds I own now.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
megalomaniac said:
How in the world do you guys shoot with the crazy circles in the 'bdc' reticle? That's gotta be the worst reticle ever created. I guess it's fine if all you're worried about is hitting a deer's vitals, but I need a little more precision than wide open circles on a reticle.

I'm with you. Those reticles are just too busy to keep me satisfied. For hunting I like the ones like the Burris ballistic plex or the Leupold LR duplex. The one I like is the one offered only on the VXII with only small stadia lines. The Boone & Crockett offered on the VXIII has too much going on for me also. I wish they'd start offering the LR duplex on the VXIII or better scopes.

LCU

I see your point of the dots on the Nikon BDC.
I just got this gun and scope,so I don't have facts from using it yet. Will this weekend.

I still think the circles can be used well enough for hunting.
I can't wait to shoot it to 250 yds this weekend.
See if it does what it is advertised to do.
If the vids on youtube are correct, I should like it.

From what I have seen it is not going to perform as well as my Leupold VX-III. Doubt it is going to gather as much light, or be as clear in these conditions.