schooling fish ?

8up

This morning we fished close to the ramp until about 7:30 and then went to the main channel and there were schools of fish have what looked like a feeding frenzy. I thought it must be striper feeding which I had heard of. We cast all sorts of crankbaits as I chased various schools. I caught 5 small largemouth which confused me because of the way the water was boiling. I did see a small school of minnows with a bass feeding on them too.

I am confused, where were the big fish? Whats the best way to fish if I see this happening again?

Ron

TNDeerGuy

late season i'll chase the "bait balls" on Old Hickory and throw a shad rap or a shad colored bandit and bring it through the school, caught several nice fish using this method.

username

There are huge wads of small bass schooled up eating the really small bait & fry on KY lake right now. If you can find schools of shad 3-5" long there will be bigger fish close by. The only good sized fish I've been able to catch shallow or on the surface lately, are in the matted grass on the river bars at the mouth of a creek or pocket. They have been few and far between and move around so much its hard to stay on'em. I'm mainly fishing ledges, drops, and the tip ends of long points now from 10-25' deep and have been catching quite a few 3-5lb fish. If you can find a piece of deep structure right now, it will probably have a few fish on it. Especially if there is bait nearby.

Hook1

U might try a bait that will run deeper and find your bigger fish,,,but my past experience is that schooling fish tend to be schooled by size,,,sometimes U might get lucky and find a bigger fish with schooled up small fish,,,I personally don't chase schooling fish anymore,,,username has it right,,,find the best structure nearby.

8up

Thanks guys, I caught 3 on a blue ratlin rap 1 on a shadrap and 1 on a bettle spin. Nothing hit the popr or buzzbaits or spinner baits or inline spinners. We were in the main channel in 40 feet of water. I bought a couple DD-22's today to try.

username

8up,

I'm assuming your fishing the northern mid section of Ky Lake considering your from Stewart county. If so, that DD22 is a very good choice for that area. Especially north of Danville. Most of the river ledges up there aren't covered in grass yet and a man can actually throw a deep diving crankbait. I catch alot of fish on crankbaits with chartreuse in them on that lake for some reason. Get a good lake map and find and fish every cut or creek channel that feeds into the river that you can with that bait. Sit in the river channel and throw as far up on the bar as you can. You should notice that the north side of the cuts being more productive. If you hang up, make note of that spot for future reference. Its most likely a fine peice of structure..... or a trot line! ;) Good luck!

8up

Buckblaster My son actually fished it he was just making short jerks.

Username I am actually fishing Barkley near dover.

username

Dr. Dickel,

Are you speaking of suspended fish? If so, I'd like to know something. In your experience, have you noticed the schools relating to contours & structure or just bait. Your probably going to say both. I could use a little clinic on suspended fish. I know they tend to be a little more picky but I'm sure they can be caught with the proper presentation. Thats something I'd really like to learn how to do. I've got the electronics for it, just need to put them to good use.

username

Dr. Dickel said:
Boy, that was long-winded, huh? :whistle:

Not long enough if you ask me! :) Keep it coming.

Tell me this, how do I determine the depth of the thermocline? Can you do it with graph sensitivity levels? I have a Humminbird 997C w/ side imaging sonar capabilities. It has absolutely helped me catch more fish by locating deep structure.

Latest posts