SAWTOOTHS!

Football Hunter

Man,they are looking good.Had a few on em the last 2 years,but dropped em in the heat,long before the season.These are from the first trees I ever planted on my place,bout 5 years.Feels good to see the work pay off!

Hunter 257W

Are you serious that they have grown from 6' to 20' in only 5 years? They sure look good. Your pictures sure help to encourage my efforts at trees, Football Hunter.

SEC

How much sunlight do they need. Im thinking of planting a few myself.

Football Hunter

Hunter 257W said:
Are you serious that they have grown from 6' to 20' in only 5 years? They sure look good. Your pictures sure help to encourage my efforts at trees, Football Hunter.
Yep,in 5 years,one thing I do is,I keep all competition away from them,no grass or weeds,gly,about once a month,or as needed.

Hunter 257W

Football Hunter said:
Hunter 257W said:
Yep,in 5 years,one thing I do is,I keep all competition away from them,no grass or weeds,gly,about once a month,or as needed.

Well, after looking at one of my Bur Oaks yesterday that was planted December 2010, I can see how yours could be that big. I haven't been able to get to mine since March because of standing water. I was shocked how much growth had happened in one Spring/Summer season. The tree is 7 feet tall at least. Unlike your case though, I sure didn't keep competition down this year - obviously, if I didn't go back there until yesterday, huh? :) It is a regular jungle with lots and lots of deer sign. 8 foot tall wild trees - honey locust mainly - blackberries, weeds of all sorts, etc. I had sprayed around all the trees with RoundUp in March so at least the competition was eliminated going into Spring. I don't think it mattered much though with so much rain this year. I fertilized each tree in February also. I was going to bush hog it Saturday but decided to leave it a thicket until after deer season to take advantage of hunting it. The spot is about 8 acres with about 45 trees on it. 16 fruit and the rest various oaks.

As soon as deer season ends though it HAS to be bush hogged or I am going to lose it.

To clarify, I did keep competition away from the trees the past 2 growing seasons.

Swampster

Do you know when they (sawtooth) start dropping? My white oaks are starting to drop a few acorns, but my sawtooth still look fairly immature.

Latest posts