Im SOLD ON SAWTOOTHS!

Football Hunter

Ive hunted with a buddy of mine 3 times this year,and the deer are all over the sawtooths.They come in,and stay,seems like something that will produce really well,year after year,and fairly quickly.I have a few on my place,but that will soon change,whenever the rains come.

Richmanbbq,still wanna trade my fruit trees for your sawtooths?

Football Hunter

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
How old are the trees you've been hunting? I have some that are around 8 years old and they have not produced yet.
According to my friend,these started producing at about 5 years,I have some 2 year olds that had some on em,but dropped during the heat spell

Football Hunter

pass-thru said:
Personally I would never plan or encourage non-native species.
well,good to know I guess,but I beleive even Quailman would not discourage sawtooths,but I may be "misremembering".THey would not be considered an invasive,I dont think,either way,I LIKE EM!

Quailman

Football Hunter said:
but I beleive even Quailman would not discourage sawtooths

Don't have much of a problem with them personally, and have never seen them as being invasive. Japanese honeysuckle, however, is another matter! ;) Sorry if that offends the honeysuckle lovers. :grin:

pass-thru

richmanbarbeque said:
pass-thru said:

Please explain.

Nothing to explain beyond I prefer to encourage and preserve native species. Just like I don't want a bunch of axis deer running through by woods.

Football Hunter

pass-thru said:
richmanbarbeque said:
pass-thru said:

Please explain.

Nothing to explain beyond I prefer to encourage and preserve native species. Just like I don't want a bunch of axis deer running through by woods.
Well then,ok,my only problem with that is,if I plant a white oak,Ill never see the first acorn fall,I wouldnt think,my grand kids would I guess,and thats fine,but why not all of us enjoy.

Football Hunter

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
How old are the trees you've been hunting? I have some that are around 8 years old and they have not produced yet.
Im sure you know this,but one thing that comes to mind is my neighbor down the road.He planted several fruit trees 10 years ago,I was over one day just talking and he asked me about why havent they grown much,and I said,"since you asked,its hard to imagine how they could with all the bermuda and fescue around them,choking them out."

He said he had never thought of that,just a thought about cutting down on the competition for your trees.

TS_13

Hey FH,
The HD in hendersonville still does not have any sawtooths. They do have some shumards. I dont know if they will have any this year or not.

blountcountyboy

Blount CountyTN ya know over next to Cades Cove
I had saw tooths at my old house and the deer and turkey would cross the road and stand 20 foot from barking dogs to eat them. They loved them. I hauled a bunch of acorns to the fence one day and tossed them out. 5 years later that stand was incredible. They were dropping acorns like crazy.

Boone 58

We americans are as a people non native species........
why are you against something so positive. You do know that native oaks are dying dont you of a disease that has no present cure. We may need sawtooth oaks to supplant the losses incurred. Remember the american Chestnut tree?..If our native wildlife love the nuts, why not plant them for their benefit. They dont care if they are native or not. i see no long term harm from such a short term opportunity to reap more mast for our wildlife. :)

Football Hunter

TS_13 said:
Hey FH,
The HD in hendersonville still does not have any sawtooths. They do have some shumards. I dont know if they will have any this year or not.
yeah,think Im gonna order some,Im so busy right now,hard to fit in time to go to McMinnville or Cookeville to get some

Latest posts