sauger

gamehog

caught over 100 saturday an sunday only six being keepers anybody have any ideas on where the bigger fish are??

Attachments

• 2E7EE401-F95C-4171-A51C-2BB67F44EA95.jpeg
    2E7EE401-F95C-4171-A51C-2BB67F44EA95.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 90

rsimms

TWRA purposely set the size limit on sauger aggressively large, in an effort to protect the best spawners at a time when sauger were declining dramatically. It seems there has been some resurgence in numbers the last couple of years. My opinion is that is due to heavy rainfall and high flows through TVA dams during peak spawning times. If rainfall/flow rates diminish, I fear sauger numbers might follow suit?

All that said, the bigger fish are (or will be) the same place(s) you caught smaller ones, IMHO. I think it's just a matter of timing.

It reminds me of the time I ran a crappie guide trip, longline trolling one day we caught 42 keepers that weighed 48 lbs. one day, with a couple fish over 2 lbs. We only caught 6 "short" fish.

The VERY next day... exact same weather, exact same water conditions, fishing the exact same pattern in exact same place ... we caught more than 150 crappie. Only 26 of them were keepers, all the rest were shorts.

I believe that same thing could happen in your situation. Now, do you mind telling us where you were fishing? ;)

Latest posts